Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP Thieves Working Memorial Day
Yup. And San Francisco is leading: "According to one report from 2016, charges are filed in a mere 2% of vehicle burglaries in San Francisco."

Only one out of 50 people arrested for breaking into cars and stealing items is prosecuted. Astounding.

Correction: Misread stat: 1 out of 50 car break-ins results in a prosecution. Still egregious.

https://www.economist.com/united-states/...ans-values

Hawaii will be there when people buy into the con job being pushed by the "Creating Better Outcomes, Safer Communities Final Report...to the Hawai‘i Legislature 2019 Regular Session"

https://19of32x2yl33s8o4xza0gf14-wpengin....28.18.pdf
My own experience of living with the neighbor from hell is that many criminals don't care if they're released on bail or on their own recognizance, they just want to get out. They'll do anything they can to avoid court and don't care if they owe money or not. I don't see how this legislation will make any difference to law-abiding citizens other than those that threaten them have a better chance of being released with no thought of the (potential) victims.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

I don't see how this legislation will make any difference to law-abiding citizens other than those that threaten them have a better chance of being released with no thought of the (potential) victims.

It's going to a vote in California. Will be interesting to watch. Some early proponents of the legislation have been backing off lately because they're worried that indigent defendants would be more likely to be held in jail rather than released. Indeed, that has been the result in Maryland after they did away with bail for the poor. It's humorous that the bail industry in Cali is now arguing that they're champions of civil rights by opposing the legislation. They're just protecting their phony baloney jobs!

One of the early arguments against dropping bail is that defendants are less likely to show up to court. This has not proven to be true in Maryland or NY.

With repeat offenders like the ones noted in this thread such a change would not be applicable. Judges would have more power to determine how to handle individual cases. I think it's a good idea that's likely to gain traction nationwide. The bail bond profession is somewhat parasitic and shady.
That bmw is always at a crappy house with junk everywhere on the corner of paradise and 12th. Just saw it today and verified the license plate. Just a heads up.
Just went back out of curiosity and a very skinny lady was standing on the side of the car with two younger looking gents. Light skinned lady about 5 10. Sunken in facial features. Literally right on the side of paradise in the middle of the day. She doesn’t seem too worried if she is wanted.