Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava photo op
Hi Everyone,
My friend will be visiting the Big Island soon (I haven't been on Island for over a year because I went back to school, so I'm clueless about anything outside of my classwork right now) He asked if there was a good place to take a picture with fresh lava. I know he wants to be respectful of people and that this last lava flow was devastating, but is there a place that has new looking lava that he could see without disturbing people?
Thank you

Aloha,

Jen
California/Hawaii
Aloha,

Jen
California/Hawaii
Up at the Pahoa Transfer station? Plenty to see there and easy to get too without driving through someones yard.
Take the drive along 137 (Red Road) to Issac Hale / Pohoiki (which is the new beach created by the flow). The road passes over several stretches of the new lava flow to give a sense of the immense change in the landscape and at Pohoiki you can walk up to & on the flow edge that stretches away for several miles more.
Note that "fresh" means solidified lava from 2018. There is no red lava flowing on the surface at this time.
HVNP - Halemaumau expansion from Volcano House
MacKenzie to Pohoiki on 137
For these 2, park a respectful distance back & off the road & hike to the viewing:
4 corners - take Beach Rd out (construction equipment may be in the area by the time your friend is here)
the old Y at Mango Rd & 132
Thank you, all!

Yes, avoiding tromping through someone's back yard is important to all of us.

Aloha,

Jen
California/Hawaii
Aloha,

Jen
California/Hawaii