Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turns out something Good
There is good from the flow 2018...

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science...-new-life/
Humans have no “rights” to say whether geological events are “good” or “bad”. They just “happen”. The earth does not act in any type of moral way.
I guess that’s why humans were given brains - so they can figure out how to deal with these events.

Puna: Our roosters crow first
Note that the "something good" phrase was from the journalist, not the scientists.
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

Humans have no “rights” to say whether geological events are “good” or “bad”. They just “happen”.

More to the point, rather than "good" how about "with some environmentally beneficial effects"?

When volcanoes have blown up and killed members of a given community, I think it's fair for the survivors to characterize it as a bad event.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

Note that the "something good" phrase was from the journalist, not the scientists.

The first 3 sentences from the link...

So at least something good came from the destruction.

NASA satellites gave the phytoplankton away. Scientists studying the images noticed that the waters around Hawaii’s Big Island took on a greenish hue as lava poured into the sea, so they set out to investigate. When the researchers tested the waters, they found a number of natural fertilizers including iron, silicic acid, phosphate and high levels of nitrates, according to a study published today in Science.

Frank, I’m not picking on you. It’s just that a real scientist would never say something was “good” or “bad”.

Let’s ask Tom K.

Tom, would you say a planet being sucked into a black hole is a good or bad thing?

"Tom, would you say a planet being sucked into a black hole is a good or bad thing?"

If I'm being a scientist and writing a research paper on the topic, it would not include words like good or bad (other than to describe the data). The paper would simply include the background, the observations, the analysis and a discussion of the results.

As a human being, I might have additional thoughts, but as a professional, they wouldn't normally be included in the paper.
quote:
Originally posted by Frank

quote:
Originally posted by TomK

The first 3 sentences from the link...

So at least something good came from the destruction.

NASA satellites gave the phytoplankton away. Scientists studying the images noticed that the waters around Hawaii’s Big Island took on a greenish hue as lava poured into the sea, so they set out to investigate. When the researchers tested the waters, they found a number of natural fertilizers including iron, silicic acid, phosphate and high levels of nitrates, according to a study published today in Science.
The first three sentences in the link say this:

"Kilauea volcano’s 2018 eruption devastated Hawaii. Lava tore through neighborhoods and farms, destroying more than 700 homes and covering 13 square miles of land in slabs of dark volcanic rock. But when that lava poured into the ocean, it spurred a massive bloom of planktonic algae, or phytoplankton, which stretched hundreds of miles out into the Pacific Ocean."

That does not include the title or brief summary, but even if it did, your claim those first three sentences say what you think they do is challenging, even for you.

I strongly suggest you watch this before you turn into another Jim Hacker, PM.

https://youtu.be/8keZbZL2ero
my mistake tom...not the first 3, but lines 12-18 infer that scientists discovered the make up of an algae bloom off Hawaii Island was likely participated by the lava flow of 2018 entering the ocean...further down in the article it states the bloom is suspected of being very helpful to the general health of the ocean and its inhabitants,...this, in my mind, is a good thing...