Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boom, loud thud felt just now
If the boom was caused by a plane, it could also have taken off from Hickam Air Force Base on Oahu. At supersonic speed it could be over East Hawaii in 15 or 20 minutes. They probably have a jet or two there capable of supersonic speeds.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Given the information posted so far, my guess is something supersonic over the ocean east of Puna. It could have been a military plane, it could have been small rock entering the atmosphere. If it was a military flight at high altitude you won't hear the aircraft but you will certainly hear the sonic boom. If it was a meteor than I suspect you would have seen a flash becaue it would have had to be quite big to create a sonic boom and without an accompanying bright flash I suspect it's unlikely. I'm going with a sonic boom from an aircraft.
Case closed, tom pronounced.
Aloha

HPP

HPP
My apoloies to dan_d if he misinterpreted "my guess" as "case closed". I will try and be even clearer in the future, just for dan.
The object in question is visible on one of the Gemini Observatory's cloud cameras (Up) at 9:07:33pm HST. I heard the boom in FFVE at 9:11:??pm which puts it at about 50 miles closest approach. This is consistent with top of the atmosphere. It was visually confirmed to be meteor-like with bright sparks trailing. Based on the sparks my best guess is a piece of space debris re-entering overhead.

I'd like to point out that this observation is a direct benefit of the mauna kea observatories.
"It was visually confirmed to be meteor-like with bright sparks trailing. Based on the sparks my best guess is a piece of space debris re-entering overhead."

I had a look at the video:

https://www.gemini.edu/sciops/telescopes...191107.mp4

I see an object that makes a brief appearance with the time you mention but there's no way I could tell what it was. I'm curious where you got "It was visually confirmed to be meteor-like with bright sparks trailing.". Thanks.
A group of 20-25 lights were spotted moving across the sky over Oahu last night, 11/12. No sound accompanied the sighting, so it was different than the boom we experienced the other night.

The two incidents could be a coincidence, or perhaps earth is passing through a patch of debris in our orbit. Or, it could be unannounced military exercises in progress. Any other ideas or suggestions?

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/11/13...night-sky/
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
60 internet satellites in a row ? elon on the move...
Yes, Mr Musk:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/elon-musks...ce-closer/
60 launched on Monday, thousands to come. Astronomers are not happy.