Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did you know? Fruit and Veggie edition
Did you know that for every lettuce, celery, leek, onion, potato, pineapple, ginger, carrot top, fresh basil / mint /cilantro you buy in the store, you can grow yourself several more for free?

https://about.spud.com/blog-regrowing-ve...rom-scrap/

Don't even have to be the fancy organic, heirloom, gaia-blessed varieties - just plain old mass produced veggies put back into containers of dirt (I'd recommend using the #1, #2, etc plastic containers to start that apparently can't really be recycled and have no other purpose)

If you want even more of these plants, you can let some go to seed or gather and grow seeds from other fruits and veggies (tomatoes, watermelon, kabocha, squash, pumpkins, etc)...

Just a thought on this sunny day - other people have some Did You Know advice on this topic?
Papayas are stupid simple to grow. Eat one outside, toss the seeds on the ground where you want it to grow. Walk away.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
We grow sweet potatoes, papayas, eggfruits, ruby red grzpefruit, eggplants, japotacabra (spelling?). We have four hens in our coop that give us 3 eggs a day most days. Coffee beans, oranges, lemons. I'm forgetting some...

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Have tried growing papaya several times the last 6 years.
I officially have given up.
The fruit are attacked by a mold and are ruined on the tree.
We're in LE and are too wet for them.

Weeds grow so fast here.
Normally, it isn't a tree, it's too much trouble around here.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, nothing left.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
1v1 the papaya u are growimng has the spot virus go to CTHAR online and they sell local made seeds, one of which is a papaya that is protected from that virus, not gene modded

Will grow almost everywhere
Aloha

HPP

HPP
Forgot to mention avocados and dragon fruit above.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
birdmove - Forgot to mention avocados and dragon fruit above.

And at what time does your driveway fruit and veggie stand open? Wink
quote:
Originally posted by dan d

1v1 the papaya u are growimng has the spot virus go to CTHAR online and they sell local made seeds, one of which is a papaya that is protected from that virus, not gene modded

Will grow almost everywhere
Aloha

HPP

Good guess, but not right.
The plants stay healthy, the fruit gets wet tanish mold spots and they grow larger and merge destroying the fruit as it ripens.
They do not look anything like ringspot.
A neighbor says they took theirs out because of fusarium.

Check out Papaya Fruit Rot.
It is caused by wet conditions.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, nothing left.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
A writer for Civil Beat wants to hear from you if you’re growing a garden during the pandemic:

Claire Caulfield #10024;
@CaulfieldCM
Hey Hawaii! Anyone out there propagating/growing their own food? Has that been affected by the pandemic? Have you started growing your own food BECAUSE of the pandemic? Send me pics for a @CivilBeat article!

https://twitter.com/caulfieldcm/status/1...0092035072
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Lot of my pineapples are from tops saved off Costco ones.

Puna: Our roosters crow first
Puna: Our roosters crow first