Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do we do?
Ok to sum this up, consensous is call 911 when you see impared, or overtly threatening or erratic driving behavior, and if help is available it will show up, to educate, to prevent or to help, that is the surest way to take care of the problem. Hijack, sorry about that, solved now?

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
"Here's a long, but eye opening article by Robert Melamede."

It sure opened my eye. If smoking cannabis on a daily basis makes you write like that, then no thanks!

Not so easy to undo a hijack.
Anyone know how to fix a tailgate latch on a 2004 Nissan Frontier?[:p]
The main problem with impaired drivers on our roads and highways are drunks, I imagine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to more effectively minimize it?

This may not be feasible or realistic, but what about employing the use of cameras scanning the highways, which are only activated by erratic movements?

If not activated, they'd be off, which might help address privacy issues. If activated, a video feed gets sent to HPD, who could respond if needed.

I'm no fan of the New British approach of perpetual citizen surveillance, btw.

This idea, I think, respects our American values regarding an individuals right to privacy, while getting more drunk drivers off our roads.
Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
Hi, Mella,

I thought you were going to say "Call 911 if you see an impaired driver, etcetera . . . and don't forget to smoke pot with no worries -- it's good for you and will even hasten evolution and bring about heaven on earth."

I really was expecting that!

april
april
quote:
Originally posted by LeeE

The main problem with impaired drivers on our roads and highways are drunks, I imagine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to more effectively minimize it?

Put radiator fluid in their alcohol.

AHAHAHAHA.

Just kidding.[:o)][}Smile][Big Grin]

Aloha! ;-)
Aloha! ;-)
Yeah, maybe that or knockout drops!
Lee Eisenstein

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
What do you do?

First, pressure the legislature to adopt the more appropriate model legislation being circulated around the US that deals with the actions versus the source. You will commonly see this taking hold when states are dumping the “under the influence” standard and replacing it with the “impaired driving” standard. Some have taken the next step and added “inattentive driving” to their list of offenses.

To explain, here are 4 examples of impaired drivers. Tell me which ones you would want charged and sent to jail and which ones should be let go.

Driver A being impaired crosses over the road into oncoming traffic, strikes a vehicle and kills the occupants. Driver was out with buddies and drank a six pack before heading home.

Driver B being impaired crosses over the road into oncoming traffic, strikes a vehicle and kills the occupants. Driver was out at a charity event, had a few glasses of wine and some champagne before heading home.

Driver C being impaired crosses over the road into oncoming traffic, strikes a vehicle and kills the occupants. Driver took their prescribed medication which the doctor warned and the label states can cause drowsiness, inattentiveness, lost of concentration before driving to store.

Driver D being impaired crosses over the road into oncoming traffic, strikes a vehicle and kills the occupants. Driver was listening to the music and having a smoke before heading out to a friend’s house.

Oh, forgot to mention, the occupants who were killed in the other car, they were your family.
I try to avoid running into the gigantic flying bats!

Aloha,
Lee
Lee Eisenstein