Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange Evening
Here in Leilani Estates about 8:20pm, I heard a jet fly overhead.
It sounded like a large one, commercial or maybe military.
Didn't sound as if it was at a usual cruising altitude, but still not low.
In 8 years I've never heard anything other than light aircraft or helicopters at reasonably low altitudes around here.

Could possibly have been one that took off from Kona still gaining altitude, maybe Honolulu, but that's a long ways away.
I would think they'd be at altitude by the time they got as far as here.

To add strangeness to this, I also saw a  strong red light flash one time through the upper trees to the  North of us while I could hear the jet.
It is cloudy, could have come through a hole in the clouds, ...maybe?

If the sound had not been confirmed by someone else, I might be thinking that I'm becoming a whack-job.
Any knowledge or thoughts on what has happened?
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
The Air Force does have training runs from Hickam on Oahu to Hilo.  They’re big planes and which fly at various altitudes.  It provides younger pilots with hours & experience, and keeps seasoned pilots prepared.  Not certain that’s what is was, but it is one possibility.
I’ve heard them too. Since it’s dark, I have no way to identify them.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
Thx,
I'm inclined to think it probably was a military plane.
I just can't see how a commercial plane could have been that low over [near] us.
We've never had any signs of commercial air routes anywhere near us, ... ever.

One thing I had forgotten to mention.
The engine[s] were cracking, made me think they were at or near full throttle.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.