Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crawfish fishing
Aloha fellow Puna folks!
I was hoping to start fishing for the invasive crawfish locally and was wondering if there are any streams with public access that are better for this? I have experience, and know that they're fond of and destructive to taro, but also don't want to do anything kapu. I have heard that the streams on the Hamakua coast are best, but maybe there is a place here in Puna where they're taking over? Would be happy to split the catch with anyone granting land access. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post any private areas you have personal access to. Mahalo for reading!
Best of luck to you Curly and if you ever end up with surplus crawfish (as if there is such a thing), I'd be happy to take them off your hands!
but maybe there is a place here in Puna where they're taking over?
-----------
There are no streams or rivers or creeks, in Puna. Zero.
Well, there was a river in Puna back in 2018 but that has dried up and/or gone subterranean.
(07-30-2021, 02:59 PM)leilanidude Wrote: but maybe there is a place here in Puna where they're taking over?
-----------
There are no streams or rivers or creeks, in Puna. Zero.

That's what I figured, from what I've seen it's just run off from the rain.

(07-30-2021, 08:36 PM)AaronM Wrote: Well, there was a river in Puna back in 2018 but that has dried up and/or gone subterranean.

I was wondering about that. Thanks for clarifying. Maybe after the next eruption it will change course? Who knows?! lol
(07-29-2021, 10:20 PM)Curly Wrote: Aloha fellow Puna folks!
I was hoping to start fishing for the invasive crawfish locally and was wondering if there are any streams with public access that are better for this? I have experience, and know that they're fond of and destructive to taro, but also don't want to do anything kapu. I have heard that the streams on the Hamakua coast are best, but maybe there is a place here in Puna where they're taking over? Would be happy to split the catch with anyone granting land access. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post any private areas you have personal access to. Mahalo for reading!
There used to be choke crawfish & prawns down in Waipio.  Probably still are.  It's very important to be welcomed by folks with kuleana wherever you go.  Make friends first.  Volunteer in the lo'i and before you know it you will find that the crawfish are a byproduct of the experience.   We used to block off the auwai at night and go with headlamps.   The buggas just wait for you to grab them - wondering where their water went.  Some folks like to use a small trident.  Good luck with it!
(07-31-2021, 04:11 AM)Kimo1967 Wrote:
(07-29-2021, 10:20 PM)Curly Wrote: Aloha fellow Puna folks!
There used to be choke crawfish & prawns down in Waipio.  Probably still are.  It's very important to be welcomed by folks with kuleana wherever you go.  Make friends first.  Volunteer in the lo'i and before you know it you will find that the crawfish are a byproduct of the experience.   We used to block off the auwai at night and go with headlamps.   The buggas just wait for you to grab them - wondering where their water went.  Some folks like to use a small trident.  Good luck with it!
That's an excellent idea, to volunteer in the lo'i! I definitely want to do this with extra kuleana, and hopefully it will be beneficial, fun, and ono!
I grew up out here in Puna and have explored many little ponds in the the woods.  So the statement of :
"There are no streams or rivers or creeks, in Puna. Zero."  -isn't entirely accurate.  During time of extended or heavy rain, those little ponds did turn into streams.  Sometimes for a week or more if the rain kept up.  Also the crawfish that lived in them may not be endemic but they certainly weren't spreading fast and are definitely not aggressive type invasive species that threatened much.  I imagine you could farm them if you got enough together and fed them yourselves but good luck in gathering mass quantity anywhere in puna.  Also if you go out to Hamakua where there are streams that run perpetually I have seen many prawns and very few crawfish.
Beware of poisoned prawns and crawfish in Hawaii island streams…

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/201...ned-water/