Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to stop birds flying into windows?
Lately, I’m getting about two bird strikes a week up from about one every three months. I do keep my windows clean, but have not cleaned them in about two months. They’re flying into first floor windows as well as second floor windows. 
Open to suggestions!
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
Put colored tape or decals on windows. Birds will stay away.
Tried that, didn’t work. One window has about 20% of the area covered.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
Wow! You've got some tenacious (or stupid) birds.
(08-23-2021, 10:36 PM)eightfingers2.0 Wrote: Lately, I’m getting about two bird strikes a week up from about one every three months. I do keep my windows clean, but have not cleaned them in about two months. They’re flying into first floor windows as well as second floor windows. 
Open to suggestions!

this is a well known problem, much discussed in birding groups.  

First of all, all glass is bad for birds.  Some birds do worse than others.  Some locations on your glass will get hit more than others: mark those spots more.  Move bird attractants such as feeders and water away from windows.

Anything you can do to make the glass “visible” from the outside is good.  Such as:   squiggles of erasable marking pen.  Tape strips.  

Hang dangling tape streamers (can be nearly clear) down the windows.  It’s the dangling movement that averts the hits.  This mostly works.

Some people use a special glass wax which gives an iridescent sheen.  Mixed reviews.

I have just let my windows get super dirty and I have almost no more bird hits.  I wash a small observation hole here and there for viewing.  Yeah, looks terrible, sort of, but really protects the birds.

Best of Luck to all y’all on this one.

Ccat
"I have just let my windows get super dirty and I have almost no more bird hits."

I love it!!