Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KoleKole Bridge (HWY 19) Restrictions Update
You had me at "logic suggests connecting". Unfortunately there's no logic, so it doesn't matter that there's also no funding.

Years ago, I had a long chat with our local DLNR office about the various Roads In Limbo. They said "open them all" -- apparently even the State employees get stuck in traffic on their commute to Hilo.
"Emergency welding" will raise the bridge's weight limit from 4 tons to 12 tons:

https://hidot.hawaii.gov/blog/2021/09/17...striction/
If the people who built that bridge were still around and could make repairs like they could do before 1946 it could be repaired in a couple of days.

Now we need permits and contracts and finding somebody who can even do the repair.
The KoleKole bridge spans were initially installed over the Wailuka, - Singing Bridge... after the tsunami of ʻ46, the remaining spans were used in the KoleJole bridge
Meet the old boss (Territory), same as the new boss (State):

Early in the morning of April 1, 1946, a massive tsunami struck Hawai'i. A tragic loss of life occurred in several low-lying areas of  the island chain, the east side of Hawaii island were hit the worst. The railroad line between Hilo and Pa'auilo suffered massive damage; bridges collapsed, trestles tumbled, and one engine was literally swept off the tracks.

The expensive option of rebuilding the railway was rejected. Hawai'i Consolidated offered the rights-of-way, tracks and remaining bridges, trestles and tunnels to the Territory of Hawaii, but the offer was refused, and finally the company sold the entire works to the Gilmore Steel and Supply Company for $81,000. Shortly thereafter, realizing its terrible error, the Territory bought it all back for $302,723.53! Much of the current highway follows the route of the old railroad, five original railroad trestles have been converted into highway bridges.

http://www.thetrainmuseum.com/history.html
That's pretty funny in a dystopian kind of way. At least some things don't change.
Has anyone weathered the drive over the bridge since they increased the weight limit? I'm wondering how long the wait time is.
(09-22-2021, 12:17 AM)kalianna Wrote: Has anyone weathered the drive over the bridge since they increased the weight limit?  I'm wondering how long the wait time is.
No wait in either direction today at 12pm and 3:30pm
Great! Thanks, rooster.
I drove over the bridge last week. 
Cones on the road as you approach the bridge.  10-20 workers standing on the side of the road in the area.  Bridge was not closed, nobody directing traffic, drove right through.
Question:  Does anyone know if the welding repairs have been completed?  Does anyone know what all those workers are doing out there?  Full time cone watchers?