Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EARTHQUAKE
(10-10-2021, 09:57 PM)randomq Wrote: I've been through bigger ones here in HA, but that was the first that knocked things over in my home! Surprised it's only a 6.1 and out in the ocean!
I learned many years ago to super-glue my breakable things to the window sills.
I heard the quake coming about 2-3 seconds before it started. Slight shaking and no rattling of anything at my house in Leilani, but even the 6.9 a few years ago caused zero damage. It seems my house was over-engineered against earthquakes. Post and pier with what i always thought was an excessive amount of them. Or maybe, the house sits in a great spot that insulates it from the quakes?
(10-11-2021, 06:43 PM)leilanidude Wrote: I heard the quake coming about 2-3 seconds before it started. Slight shaking and no rattling of anything at my house in Leilani, but even the 6.9 a few years ago caused zero damage. It seems my house was over-engineered against earthquakes. Post and pier with what i always thought was an excessive amount of them. Or maybe, the house sits in a great spot that insulates it from the quakes?
My carpenter once said that the post and pier houses "dance" with the earthquakes.
Back in 2013 when the county required us to add shear walls on the corners to the post & pier I thought it was a bit of overkill, but in light of the larger earthquakes since then I'm glad they did.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
So, no reports of damage from anyone?
Some 2x4s fell off the lumber pile out back.

There are reasons I don't like a slab, but the house basically didn't notice the last two big quakes, so yeah, all that concrete was worth it.
I lost half a bottle of hydrogen peroxide when it fell off the bathroom counter and spilled. Sad