Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grave Stones on Red Road
Does anyone know the story (history) of the grave stones on the seaside on the Red Road between Pohoiki & Kalapana?
I think this is what youʻre talking about. In Opihikao? Google Elia Family burial grounds for a pic. Hereʻs some history.

https://peoplelegacy.com/cemetery/elia_f...ds-736R01/
Thankyou, Kalianna. The websites I looked at name the people buried there, but don’t say anything else; does anyone know anything about this family?; also, can anyone put a cemetery on their property?
HCC 6-1No cemetery shall be established, nor shall the area of any existing cemetery be enlarged or extended without the approval of the council, evidenced by a resolution.

If the cemetery existed before County, it's grandfathered.
there are 2 of them with gravestones in that area on makai side of road,

w/ the more rural looking one only feet from road with mature Ohia etc. mixed in between the graves...
if you climb to top of small berm in back and look towards ocean there is a larger 180+ yr old area with many platforms etc. that is now sloughing off into ocean.... prob a site with structures and burials... one grave you can easily see on first large platform was dug up years ago, and the big hollow open area was full of the tiny smooth ili ili pebbles lining bottom..... some have called this area Mahinaakaaka Heiau in the past, but Ive seen it listed as farther down coast on some maps too...
ps. if you hike uphill between Seaview and Kalani from the area where you can still see some of the old Kings Hwy on coastal cliff there.... there are also many of these a'a lava platforms... prob home platforms in 1800s

fwiw, they aren't too old because the a'a flow the stones are form is not that old... my guess is early mid 1800s

most of that area was owned by Shipman and Elderts c130 yrs ago, and Robert Rycroft had his Coffee/Guava Mill there then too, its still there btw...