Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pointing Antenna
Looking for information on how to point my roof TV antenna with a compass towards the transmitter near HMC/Kaiser Hilo from Hawaiian Acres (numbered road).  

Bought a new replacement antenna last year and mounted it onto existing pole, that is mounted into metal roof.  Initially was able to receive PBS, CBS, ABC, FOX, and NBC.  Reception tended to be better during the day for some reason.  Over the past year the antenna seems to have moved.  Bought a new side mount for the antenna  and a new good quality RG6 outdoor Coax cable.  

Current pipe was rusted when antenna installed and figured it's better to remove and plug hole.  With new side mount I hope to mount on fascia at roof peak, which will give antenna some added height too.  THE DTV map at https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps.  shows the line of sight would be a few degrees right of our house, which sits in line with Road 3.  Is there a way to use a compass and or iphone, while up on the roof, to more accurately point the antenna?

Antenna purchased: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LZ9EXI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mahalo,
Rob
Rob,
If you have any identifiable objects in your line of sight (roads, buildings, towers) you can:
* Print out a Google Map
* Draw a line on the map from your house to the TV transmission tower/location
* Locate an identifiable object on the line you've drawn on the map, an object that you know you can see from your roof
* Aim your antenna at that object

Good luck!
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
(11-15-2021, 01:21 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: Rob,
If you have any identifiable objects in your line of sight (roads, buildings, towers) you can:
* Print out a Google Map
* Draw a line on the map from your house to the TV transmission tower/location
* Locate an identifiable object on the line you've drawn on the map, an object that you know you can see from your roof
* Aim your antenna at that object

Good luck!
Great idea.  I printed the map and drew a line to transmitter location.  Just looking at line drawn in relation to our road, that our house sits parallel to, the antenna needs to be turned just a few degrees right.  The antenna is currently pointed more toward Hilo Bay, which is not correct since line to transmitter appears on map between HMC and Kaumana Caves.
Mahalo