Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cell phones
We have been using Consumer Cellular flip phones for some years now. They did the job and lasted a long time. Then they notified us we had to get their new cell phones because ours would cease to work due to some changes. These new phones are crap. They keep busting out at the swivel hinges. I can't see throwing our money away on these shoddy devices. Does Tracfone have good cell coverage here? Any suggestions? Do not want to spends hundreds of dollars for smart phones.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Several of the church members whom I help with their taxes use Tracfone, and they report good good coverage. At least two of them use very inexpensive flip phones with that service and do fine. One had the same issue you did with Consumer and got a low cost (about $50) simple smart phone from Tracfone. I think Walmart and Target both sell phones and air time cards for Tracfone.
(09-21-2022, 06:16 AM)birdmove Wrote: We have been using Consumer Cellular flip phones for some years now. They did the job and lasted a long time. Then they notified us we had to get their new cell phones because ours would cease to work due to some changes. These new phones are crap. They keep busting out at the swivel hinges. I can't see throwing our money away on these shoddy devices. Does Tracfone have good cell coverage here? Any suggestions? Do not want to spends hundreds of dollars for smart phones.

Tracfone is owned by Verizon now, so as far as coverage goes it is the same as Verizon.  

As a discount Verizon product they probably reserve the right for dynamic service levels, meaning people having full-price Verizon accounts are first in line for service and data throughputs during times of congestion.  

Another option to consider is Straight Talk which is more or less the same product and service as Tracfone, I think also owned by Verizon, just different marketing and options.  I think they have some sort of marketing co-op with Walmart like you can buy their phones at Walmart and they will activate them for you etc.

I've had a Tracfone for over 15 years.  Since I mostly use it on WiFi my monthly bill averages about $5/month. For the cheapest monthly bill I recommend getting an iphone because paired with Verizon it has the option to place and receive calls via wi-fi, so you don't use any "minutes" if on a pre-paid plan.