Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who should manage public land that is sacred to Native Americans?
"This belief makes living in Hawaii a poor choice, then." - kalakoa

Yes, it's like Animal Farm. "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
(10-11-2022, 09:05 AM)randomq Wrote: I don't think "my ancestors lived here first" should be a qualification for anything in a modern democracy where everyone is equal.

Where is everyone equal?
Where is everyone equal?

Animal Farm.  With qualifications.
(10-11-2022, 05:31 PM)MyManao Wrote:
(10-11-2022, 09:05 AM)randomq Wrote: I don't think "my ancestors lived here first" should be a qualification for anything in a modern democracy where everyone is equal.

Where is everyone equal?

I think people living in modern democracies are more equal today than they have ever been. Not to say it is perfect, or that we can't improve disparities, the wealth gap, etc. But to encourage identity politics, or have special classes of people, is counterproductive to our goals of equality, or at least fairness.
So true RQ ^ But some just don't get it, some want to divide and most don't give a hoot until its they backyard. That said, pick a side .. LOL
I think people living in modern democracies are more equal today than they have ever been..

Might be, but don't blink!

All I can say is it's a nice fantasy. And OMG we could go round and round 'bout the definition of 'more' for longer than I have breath left in me. What about women's right to choose being denied is anywhere near equal? What about a rich criminal's walking free verses the poor filling our jails is equal? What about Rittenhouse and Floyd is anywhere near the same universe as equal?

And still.. I think we are a better whole, a better all of us, when we honor and spend the time to appreciate the differences between us rather than when we seek to forego them for our similarities. There are a phenomenal amount of examples of how we all are enriched by the diversity of our cultures.

For goodness sake.. imagine a world with only one kind of music! Food? Things would get boring real fast if all the art we see is similar to our own. And, besides, if we dive head first into that proverbial melting pot, it's just gonna boil us all down to pap. And, if past is prologue it'll be white Anglo-Saxon pap at that!

Yuck!

I really like what the Hawaiians did when they got a hold of stringed instruments. Their unique musicianship is awesome. We are all enriched. Diversity is what defines 'lucky we live Hawaii,' isn't it?
I think the mere fact that we heard about Rittenhouse, Floyd, Taylor, Garner, etc shows that the world has changed. A good old boy's escapades would have been swept under a rug in the past. The murder or reckless killing of minorities wouldn't have been newsworthy. Now most people care, and these outrageous incidents are hyped by the media, but on the decline the past few decades.

I'm all for celebrating and appreciating diversity, and I think in general Big Island has a good attitude towards it and the ability of people to joke and laugh about our differences. But when it comes to how government treats people, or how we treat each other, race shouldn't be a factor.
Let's not stray into a discussion of mainland good old boys when we have our own GOB system happening right here.
HAHA .. Randomq !

Speaking of .. You forgot to add Hunter.