Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work in exchange for housing
Some acquaintances of mine on the mainland said they heard of a place on Maui where you can live on the farm while working there. I know nothing about these types of arrangements and wondered if anyone here has anything to offer on the subject.

I did a quick search and found a place called Hedonisia that was destroyed in the 2018 flow but is still offering low-cost stays in what sounds like a primitive environment. I also saw a “Worldpackers” site that looked more like ecotourism tours as opposed to long term living.

This couple is hardworking and honest, but down on their luck and looking for a change. My first thought is to discourage them, since living here can be brutal with no job or money, but on the other hand, I would like to help them out with as much information as possible.
I think it’s called wwoofing or something like that.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
Google search "Papaya Farms Road "

Or click on my link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Papaya+Farms+Road&rlz=1CABBMB_enUS1011US1011&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
There are quite a few different work trade options throughout the state... & many in Puna..
They cover the gambit from loosely structured agreements, to full on contracts, to more vacation-y programs like "WorkAway", to National Park "VIP" programs...
Know quite a few people that have done or hosted most...
I would tell anyone thinking about this to really think about moving here with no support system, make sure you advise these folks to have enough when they come here that they can get out of a bad situation (which is probably not practical in their situation...)... if the situation you choose does not work out, you are here... far from anything else... & the landlord tenant laws here are more vague on these type programs... owners have locked out folks if there were issues... & some turn out to have the work trade folks do some mighty interesting things (some of the panhandlers in Hilo are on work/stay programs that have the folks do a little "cash collecting" as a part of the stay!)
Some offer really nice rooms & great hosts, others are pretty horrible, others possibly life-threatening (one of the dengue outbreaks on island had a work stay place involved...)....
OH & for the hosts? some have had horror stories of do-nothing "workers" that will not leave & steal & destroy property - some have had liability claims due to worker injury, & there are workers that may have a bundle of issues (our last one ODʻed on us by drinking rubbing alcohol... nothing better than having that ambulance arrive in the middle of the night to make you re-access your hosting! we have decided not to....)
I would advise ANYONE looking at being on either end of this to do your research, make sure you have a plan, have insurance (either policy or plan of action) to cover anything that COULD happen, and make sure you really know who & what you are getting into BEFORE you jump... research the snot out of everyone & everything!
They need to stay on the mainland. There are almost zero chances of them moving here and getting a job. local businesses do not like to hire fresh transplants. There are plenty of jobs in any city on the mainland if one wants to work and there are much better support systems available.
Good to see you back Carey, with great, on point advice as usual.
Years ago on my family farm in Connecticut we needed seasonal labor. I offered room and board and the workers had to pay their own way in and out. I did not tell them I would have cash paying work available... which I did after they arrived.

I only advertised in Mother Earth News.

Got 67 applicants. It was hard choosing but ended up with some great youngsters and they ended up happy too.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the replies. Special thanks to Carey, great insight, as usual. I'll pass the info on.

Hopefully they'll find someone like Rob!