Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
looking for tax preparer
We're looking for a competent, reasonably-priced tax preparer to do our individual taxes.  We were using H&R Block but that was a bureaucratic nightmare.  Any suggestions?
Certainty will be the death of us.
Have you tried online Turbo Tax? It basically walks you thru the whole process and files for you.
5-0 Tax Service in Hilo. H&R Block is Priced out of sight.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Thanks, Jon. iʻll give them a try.
Used H&R Block for 30 years.  Tried Turbo Tax last year and it was a breeze  Will use Turbo Tax again this year.  Very easy and alot less expensive. Didnt have any problems and don't think I left any money on the table.  Satisfied with Turbo Tax.
If you decide to do it yourself I recommend olt.com. It's about $15 for the premium. This is for filing your federal and state return, and includes importing info from previous years (obviously, this starts the first year AFTER you've filed with them). I've been using them for over 10 years with no problem.

The reason I started doing it myself is that, when I went to a "tax person", they sat there and asked me a bunch of questions. After a while I realized that THEY were doing the exact same thing, just answering the prompts on the software. Why should I pay someone to do this when I can do it myself?

You can work on it whenever you have time, for as long or little as you want. I usually take about a week or so. That way, you don't have to feel rushed and can do it when YOU want to. It saves your work as you go and it's very good at making sure you don't make a mistake.
Jon, birdmove, just came from Five-O tax service. What a pleasure. Thanks for your recommendation. Not much cheaper than H&R Block but far easier to deal with. Weʻll be back again next year.