Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David Crosby R.I.P. - One Time In Hawaii
(01-23-2023, 07:54 AM)elepaio pid= Wrote:Green flash

Absolutely no way it was a green flash. That's just crazy nonsense.
Tom, 
Here’s the clearest shot we have.
Taken around 8:55 pm on January 20th on a canon SL3, 300mm f/5.6 iso 3200

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Was it moving from left to right ?
1 vote for DC's Starboard marker
This SpaceX reentry photographed from Mauna Kea on the 18th, 2 days prior to the photo I posted probably is unrelated, but is there any possibility rocket fuel could hang in the atmosphere (or above the atmosphere) and be visible for that long?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko8FhK_3tfM
There was a SpaceX launch on the 19th, but the times don't match up right now with your photo. All I can say right now is that it's most likely not an astronomical object but something man-made. I would still like confirmation you didn't see it in other photos or if you did, it was always in the same place relative to the stars (i.e., it's not something on the camera lens).

To me, it looks like a rocket launch with the rocket still firing its engines, or just stopping firing them, above the atmosphere. The color is consistent with other observations of rockets entering space and the diffuse cloud around the object means it has to be quite nearby, the camera would detect a nebula, galaxy, or anything like that.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to check this out more right now but will do it. According to KITV, the Jan 18th launch provided this sight over the islands:

https://youtu.be/qRsuhP9wvNw

So you can see what I think right now, I just can't tie everything up in terms of time and date. I also doubt very much the fuel would hang around that long for it to be visible to a normal camera hours after the event. You can see in the video how quickly it fades even with a camera optimized for night-time conditions.
Thanks Tom, 
We have it in 4 photos, and it does seem to move although it’s hard to tell. Some are focused clearer than others, and zoomed in closer.  If you think it will help I can post all 4 photos.
It would certainly help me! If you don't want to bother people here, you could use the PM feature (it works), but more images would help determine the movement and evolution of the object. Again, I would need the times of each image which I assume you can get from the metadata.