Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Port of Hilo Closed
According to the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, the Port of Hilo has been closed by the Coast Guard following an inspection that found the facilty's fire suppression system non-compliant.  Interestingly, it was Young Brothers who broke the news and not our always negligent state bureaucrats.  Here's a link, but it may be behind the paywall by now:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2023/12/1...-to-close/
Back in the day when I had something arrive at Hilo port I’d drive in, walk up to the counter, tell them what I needed to pick up, sign, and drive off. 

Then the Harbor Master decided to implement high security measures and wanted us to watch a one hour video in a waiting room and attend a class.  Can’t remember if we had to take a test, but probably.  Also had to submit various identification documents but that was no big deal and made sense if you wanted to keep the criminals out.

The whole place could have burned down?  Another case of fiddling (with paperwork requirements) while Hilo Harbor could have burned?  Burned even brighter with the extra paperwork on file.
Luckily I was in Hilo when I read this so I filled up the car with gas and bought all the water, toilet paper and rice that I could fit in my car.
If it is closed, why is there a cruise ship there today?
Classic.

For enhanced harbor access, get a TWIC. Available in Hilo, no employer sponsorship required. Also works at (some) TSA checkpoints.
Update: Reopened as of 3:30. The only part of the port affected was the Young Brothers area, and the issue was an inoperable water tank for the fire suppression system. HFD has provided acceptable backup equipment, and they are back in business.

Obie, I hope you can get your money back for all that toilet paper. rice, and water. Personally, I would try to find a way to securely store it. You never know when the next baboose episode will come along.