Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$15,000 / month to house displaced Maui residents
(02-17-2024, 06:51 PM)leilanidude Wrote: So your 50k in repairs was or was not covered by insurance?
------------
Having insurance and being paid by the insurance company are two very different things. I showed FEMA the denial letter. Based upon that, FEMA should have written me a check for $35,000.
I'm wondering how you're coming up with these figures.  The eventual cost of all work and materials wouldn't be known in advance.  

My impression-could be wrong-is that FEMA's homeowner assistance is fairly minimal, only enough to render the dwelling habitable again.  Whereas with insurance that actually pays for your losses, they would reimburse for whatever it cost to return the place into original condition or better.
I'm wondering how you're coming up with these figures. The eventual cost of all work and materials wouldn't be known in advance.
-------------
Replacement roof, wiring issues due to the SO2 gas, plumbing too. FEMA max payout at the time was $35k. Many friends without insurance got the $35k.
I still don't know why we got tents and they got hotel rooms. I also don't recall the governor making any efforts to find homes for the displaced...

The part about getting screwed for being responsible and having insurance sounds right though. Sorry leilanidude.