Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
auto fatalities rise by 100%%
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2024/05/18...last-year/

Iʻd like to know how many of these deaths involve single car accidents where drivers swerve off the road and slam into unforgiving objects.  I consider those to be culling the herd.
So ask the police or the county if those statistics interest you. I'd also caution you against saying "culling the herd" unless you know what caused a single-car accident.
"Iʻd like to know how many of these deaths involve single car accidents where drivers swerve off the road and slam into unforgiving objects."

Unfortunately, that statistic has not been reported yet. However, I would think it's safe to say that it is a very small number of the total vehicle accidents every year.

Also, I think it depends on the reason the driver swerved. Child in the road? Sudden rock fall? I don't think too many drivers make an intentional decision to run off the road and hit unforgiving objects, unless there is a sudden and immediate change in the conditions - or they are somewhat impaired. Drunk, drugs, texting........ Like what BJ Penn did a few years ago in front of Prince Kuhio Mall.

"I consider those to be culling the herd."

Well, I think the real herd cullers are the ones who think they can drive with any sort of impairment. Unfortunately, in so many impaired driving accidents, the innocent ones are the ones killed. 

Amazing that to be a jet pilot, you can't consume alcohol 8 hours before duty - most airlines say 12 hours nor are allowed to even be prescribed any type of opiate drugs and a whole list of other ones. But 4 to 6 beers with dinner at Luquins is just fine to drive a car. Or because your tooth hurts, its ok to take a friends left over Oxys to ease the pain on your drive to Wal Mart. Or being overly depressed so you take twice your prescribed medicine on your way to pick up the kids. Or you need one more bump of meth to make the drive to Waimea to get more meth. A few tokes on the joint to ease the stress while crawling in Pahoa bound traffic at 4:30PM.
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
You're stalking me now, aren't you? Wink
Plenty of accidents seem to be single vehicle that simply "ran off the road". Many of those happen in four main areas: The "gulches", Kau and South Kona, Saddle Road.
ask the police or the county if those statistics interest you

Don't forget that "fatalities" are only counted if they occur on a public road, so "rise by 100%" doesn't tell the whole story.