Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is racism a big problem?
Kapohocat -- re Berkeley, I don't know when you were there of course. Kids and cliques are there as everywhere.

Perhaps I should have said, in the Ph.D. program I was in, in the 1990's, multicultural issues and post-colonialism were BIG topics. I spent years thinking about all this ... thus I was just using my own example to say Bob is drawing conclusions about the people here that aren't justified.

I would hardly say that Berkeley is a perfect place.

I think the quote you presented is interesting, but I don't automatically accept the premise. The premise is that each individual must accept guilt for the deeds of their race -- even beyond their own ancestors, which I would also question.

In my own genealogy, which I can trace back to the Vikings who founded Dublin and the Irish they conquered, it's interesting to see that I'm descended from both the rape and pillagers and the innocent victims. Very common I'm sure, because how often do the two intermarry? That was the norm.

However, my family did not oppress anyone in Hawai'i ... and anyone who insists that I take on guilt for what ALL Caucasians in power, anywhere and everywhere, have done, is to my mind, promoting another kind of racism. To reject racism is to reject being labeled by race and embrace an identity of "human being."

OK, so if I were Catholic (for example), and believed in the sin of Adam and Eve as original and tainting all human beings, I could walk around under that burden too. But I choose not to.

Such small problem that I do have with folks here is that a segment of the people cannot get beyond our ethnic differences. Also, that those who feel disenfranchised and powerless are in some cases being taught to find strength and identity in the anti-haole movement. I wish people could be PRO their own identity without having to be ANTI people who never, individually, did anything to them.
You may think the story about Captain Cook is profound, but Prof. Lane hasn't got his facts straight.
See the Wikipedia article.
lol, that's so true rbakker! Another "scholar" who needs to have the story fit his argument, to hell with the facts.
Thank you, KathyH. The concept of inherited guilt on a racial (or any other) basis is contradictory to my principles, too. It's always better to base one's opinion of someone on character and behavior rather than on ethnic history.

Cheers,
Jerry
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH...

Kapohocat -- re Berkeley, I don't know when you were there of course. Kids and cliques are there as everywhere...

Why do you assume it was kids?

These were well educated, middle class, middle aged people.
My bad, Cat. You are right, I assumed. I thought you meant you went to school at Cal and were talking about classmates, who are still MOSTLY 18-20-somethings.

btw, when I said Berkeley, I meant my alma mater, Cal. Not the town ... which I did not make clear.

I'm sorry you were treated that way. OK, I'll expand my comment to note there are jerks of all ages in all places. ;-)

I would agree that there's a NoCal attitude about SoCal people (not justified).
I myself am a hybrid, raised North and South.
However, while going to Cal, my Berkeley study group had a joint camping tradition with profs and grad students from USC, UCLA, and elsewhere in the Southland. We would go to Yosemite for a weekend and have a blast. So the two spheres can meet in harmony. [Smile]

Hilo and Kona people can act with the same kind of silliness occasionally.
no worries KathyH. I was using Berkeley the city as an example. Could have used anywhere.

Camping and beers always brings a common ground! [Smile]
Is racism a big problem?

Yes.
Eeach and every time a racist act is committed, anywhere, in any way, by anybody, it is a big problem. Wasted space in our shared consciousness. But nothing that fairness and decency can't overcome everywhere.

Aloha Wink

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
Just my two coconuts worth -- I am haole, and will always be haole. I'm not sensitive to being identified as haole -- we are what we are. It wasn't my doing, for better or worse. I try to be the best person I can be, sometimes more successfully than other times. My husband and I bought our property here in Kapoho 8 years ago and retired here 4 years ago. Childhood can be wonderful at times and tough at times, regardless of race. Some are taller, shorter, slimmer, broader, etc -- but that's when we learn the importance of respecting others and the differences -- or not. We didn't bring keiki with us, but I'd bet that kids who show an interest in and respect for the local culture would experience an easier transition than whose who don't.
We love our life and our friends here, and have never even once regretted our decision. We have dear friends of all skin colors, lifestyles, political and religious beliefs. We feel this island in particular is a true melting pot and we moved here eager to embrace this culture. I think my pet peeve is mainlanders who move here, but then, rather than embrace the culture and adapt to the laidback lifestyles that we so enjoy, expect the rest of us to adopt the ways they bring from wherever they came from. If everything was better where they came from, why did they come here?