Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody got the new tv converter box ?
Hey I just saw this article http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/art...Cable-With
-Cheap-Digital-TV-Boxes

I didn't know you could possibly get more channels with one of these guys. Does anyone have one yet? I don't have cable, internet is time consuming enough, but a news channel would be nice while I'm surfing.
Howzit Punamom...

Guess we both are up late tonight.

Try this if you want to view news channels on the internet while still surfing the net.

Hit Crl-N at the same time to open a new browser.

Then, go to pretty much any major Broadcasting companies website.

I'll use KITV as an example.

Once you have two browser windows open... you can then navigate the KITV/etc. site that you want to and still do other business.

At any onetime I have multiple windows open, and I've also recently started tab browsing.

Just as newspapers are going down hill at a rapid incline.... soon TV News Stations will also go down the drain.

You can also watch things like mainstream shows on sites like ABC by just clicking on full episodes.

I receive my news as fast as all the other Media Outlet here in Hawaii by simply using Google Reader.... with a few Key Words.

It's amazing that it seems at times as though the Local Media outlets are reading my mind at times....

It's simply not true.

Local Media here in Hawaii is very dependent on the "Wire".

I'm attempting to keep this on topic as possible.

I hate monopolies and Oceanic Time-Warner is force feeding us stuff that we don't need at very high costs.

Did you know that the DVR boxes that Big Island/Hawaii residents receive are refurbished used boxes most of the time that come from places all over the United States?

I'm a TV addict... Part of my career revolved around it. I still now prefer to get my news via blogs and other outlets.

There are many great bloggers now that once used to be journalist.

Journalist are confined to work under their bosses so that news is often tainted.

Yes you can get more channels with these guys... but is it worth paying into the system when you can access most stuff online?

-------
I Still hope things will work out [}Smile]
haha lol My kids have the nice computers, mine... I'm lucky if I can get a page to load. videos,shows,movies forget it.

What system would I have to pay into besides just buying the box (with my coupon of course)?

Yes I know I'm practically computer illiterate my genius nephew who just hacked a mac os onto his IBM and writes code for the mars rover lets me know regularly, so I have to ask the dumb questions here if you don't mind...

High jack all you want as long as I at least get an answer....

On 2/17/2009, television broadcasters will be switching from an analog signal to digital signal. This switch effects only commercial high-powered broadcasters. In order to receive the new signals on television sets without digital receiving capabilities, a digital-to-analog converter box is required. Because many television sets in use today are estimated to still be analog only, the federal government has provided a subsidy for the purchase of converter boxes.

- This change over has nothing to do with High Definition television signals and should not be confused with that.
- Most cable companies have stated they will continue to broadcast their analog signals in analog.
- This has nothing to do with satellite television.
- You will not get any additional channels that are not already broadcasting in your area.
- The change over applies to commercial high-powered stations and may not impact low powered or educational, religious, or other "community" style television stations.
- You may still need to purchase a digital television antenna.
- Check you owners manual as you television set may already have a digital receiver built in.

This change over is about the signal and only the signal. It's the same as when the cell phone industry retired the AMPS network and went digital. Unfortunately may people are so confused that con-artist and scammers are making people believe something is what it's not. The US government has an official website about the conversion:http://www.dtv.gov

Bob's post is a great example why PW is amazingly helpful site.Just a lot of information and aloha (at 4 am!,btw..)
Thank you,Bob!
Right now with a regular roof mount antenna, and a digital compatible tv I am getting channels 2.1 high def, 5 analog, 9 analog, 11 analog and 11.1 digital, 13 analog, 14.1 digital, 34 analog.

Is anybody getting anymore? My antenna isn't in very good shape, getting hard to find. I asssume there must be a channel 2 but I can't seem to get it.

Scott
Bob is Right... You want simple answers?

If you do not have cable or Satellite?
1. You will need a Digital TV Converter Box ONLY if you do not have a new Television.

2. If you have an old tv... You will need to buy a converter box... hook it up to channel 3 or 4 and use the DTV converter box like a cable box. The TV will stay on 3 or 4 and the DTV Converter box will be your TUNER.

If you have Cable or Satellite... DO NOTHING?

Any Simpler than that?