Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catchment tank advice?
We've been gone 10 days and came home to find the water looking rather green. [xx(] I put in the normal bleach dose but do we need a bigger dose to "shock" the water? Does anyone ever use any kind of floating dispenser like used in a pool for clorine tablets? The tank is 10,000 gallons. Got any advice?
Is this tank covered?

Sounds like somethings growing in there [V]

Sunlight entering your tank is my 1st guess as to whats wrong...

Julie, why don't you provide more info on your tank setup:
- is it an above ground metal tank with plastic liner, ferrocement sunk into the ground, plastic swimming pool?
- covered, if so, with what?
- what kind of treatment, number of filters, pore rating in microns, UV light?
- are there trees around the tank to shade it, do you have a lot of leaves in your gutters?

It will make it easier for folks to help you out if you can describe your situation. Or, call a catchment company.
The water warms up as the Summer wares on and less rain going into the tank I get more algae bloom. Makes it hard on filters. I had to shock it last Summer with some stuff I got at Water Works. Sorry but I can't remember the name but it made the bloom go away. Made the water taste a bit like county water too[xx(].

Royall

What goes around comes around!

Thanks for the replies. The tank is an above ground metal tank, vinyl lined, covered with the black tarp type cover. No leaf problems, house and tank are right out in the open. I think Royall has the right diagnosis. The water's looking better since the last bleach dose but I may still try the "shock" thing.
Being that both copper and zinc are natural algeacides, I wonder if throwing a couple dollars worthe of pennys into your tank might have a positive effect. I understand that a good charcoal filter will remove the extra chlorine you may add.