Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rice Cultivation on the Big Island
As others have said, the upland rice varieties are likely the best bet. Those that require regular standing water likely would be a problem since the land on BI is mainly porous - as we all know, there can be a torrential downpour, and an hour later no standing water. As for getting seed to test, the USDA has seed repositories anyone can request seed from - I think the one for rice is either Stuttgart, AK or Beaumont, TX. APHIS rules would likely require a certified site to grow out the first plants and have an APHIS inspector sign off on the plants lack of disease. From there, you would have the seed to replant where you want. Most likely place on BI is the ARS/USDA facility in Hilo. They likely are not to want to be a regular testing site, but it's worth a check, and I'm sure an occasional test planting could be worked out.

[from olin137] ...the upland rice varieties are likely the best bet. Those that require regular standing water likely would be a problem since the land on BI is mainly porous - as we all know, there can be a torrential downpour, and an hour later no standing water.

Yes, likely so. I've waded through mud up to my knees on the hillsides north of Hilo and have thought some portions of that area might have significant potential for upland rice.

As for getting seed to test, the USDA has seed repositories anyone can request seed from - I think the one for rice is either Stuttgart, AK or Beaumont, TX.

Interesting! This would be good to know more about. I wonder if they would recommend rice strains most likely to do well in the local conditions here? Probably, though, that particular Stuttgart is in Arkansas (AR), not Alaska (AK).

APHIS rules would likely require a certified site to grow out the first plants and have an APHIS inspector sign off on the plants lack of disease. From there, you would have the seed to replant where you want. Most likely place on BI is the ARS/USDA facility in Hilo. They likely are not to want to be a regular testing site, but it's worth a check, and I'm sure an occasional test planting could be worked out.

Actually, as long as it is just clean rice seed there is no problem according to Plant Quarantine. If a person wants to import rice seed from California, Louisiana, or anywhere else inside the USA then as long as the words "Plant Material - May Be Opened For Inspection" are clearly written on the outside of the package doing so is OK. If insects or other problems are found on inspection the rice seed shipment from inside the USA will be destroyed, otherwise it will be passed through -or so I was told.

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

Pres. John Adams, Scholar and Statesman

"There's a scientific reason to be concerned and there's a scientific reason to push for action. But there's no scientific reason to despair."

NASA climate analyst Gavin Schmidt

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(
It may turn out to be more a matter of the agricultural system used to grow the rice raher than any particular strain, although I wouldn't rule that out, in relation to the water requirements most of us feel are necessary to successfully produce viable crops. I've lost my copy, but as I recall, Masanobu Fukoka, see 'One Straw Revolution,' was growing rice on Okinawa and not flooding but rather simply casting seed into harvested grain crops, i.e, barley or some such and recording comparabable yields to those flooded. This might be the solution here especially in light of the fact that we're in a similar latitude.

JayJay
JayJay
quote:
Originally posted by JayJay

It may turn out to be more a matter of the agricultural system used to grow the rice raher than any particular strain, although I wouldn't rule that out, in relation to the water requirements most of us feel are necessary to successfully produce viable crops. I've lost my copy, but as I recall, Masanobu Fukoka, see 'One Straw Revolution,' was growing rice on Okinawa and not flooding but rather simply casting seed into harvested grain crops, i.e, barley or some such and recording comparabable yields to those flooded. This might be the solution here especially in light of the fact that we're in a similar latitude.
JayJay

Mr Fukoka's rice was sown into the stubble of the previous season's grain crop. This is common in the slightly less tropical and more temperate areas of Asia, where, like here and the tropical regions of Asia (Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc) climate permits two or three crops/yr. Except in those 'transition' zones (sub-tropical / sub-temperate) cool season crops like barley and wheat are grown at least one season.

The variety / 'strain' is important, ... think day-length sensitivity, disease resistance, susceptibility to lodging (falling over), and the type of rice (or whatever) you want to eat. One version of the disappeared-rice-in-Hawaii story is that the Chinese were growing short-grain rice, according to their cultural preference. When the Japanese laborers arrived in overwhelming numbers, with a cultural preference for long-grain rice, the trade went to buying rice from Japan to the detriment of the fledgling island rice industry. Can't speak to the total veracity ... anybody else?

The whole is necessary -- right care of the right type of plant for the purpose it is being grown.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park

A couple of interesting developments in the ongoing saga of returning rice into active cultivation on the Big Island....

Regarding the question about types of rice grown on Kauai in the 1980s and 1990s, the gal at UH Hilo wrote saying "Here is information from ...the Kauai Research Station. [The Kauai Research Station] suggests that you contact the California Rice Growers Association" and she forwarded a note from the Kauai Research Station, which stated "That was definitely propriety information. He would have to contact California Rice Growers Association."

Hmmm.... I am a bit surprised at this reply, since it seems as if information from taxpayer-funded agricultural research facilities would be available to the taxpayers, but maybe my perception and understanding of such matters is incomplete &/or naive. Indeed, perhaps this particular facility is not even taxpayer-supported, though according to a document I came across online it appears taxpayers quite substantially fund these institutions via the USDA, the Hawaii legislature, and other public moneys (see CTHAR Research News, Vol. 1, No. 3 - http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:sKamySrZ
LLoJ:www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/acad/research/Downloads/ResearchNews/CTAHR
_Research_News_Nov_05.pdf+CTAHR+Research+News+November+8,+2005&hl=en
&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a). If this is indeed the case, then someone who is sufficiently motivated and knows how to use the Freedom of Information Act to obtain information directly from government agencies via FOIA could sue to do so. I, myself, am not inclined to do so; it seems un-neighborly to force people into court and sue them if not absolutely necessary, not to mention tiresome and messy.

It can be a murky business when industry uses taxpayer-supported facilities and resources for doing its own R&D with the results declared “definitely propriety information” and off-limits to the same taxpayers who have maintained those facilities and staff for so very, very, long. There has been an increasing bunch of this sort of thing happening over the last few decades through Reagan’s Star Wars systems and the newer Homeland Security efforts, much of which is immune from Freedom of Information Act discovery through being cloaked as defense-related classified information. Disclosing the specific types of rice which have been identified as those growing best in Hawaii through research performed at a taxpayer-supported institution, though, would not seem as if it is a defense secret which needs to be kept classified from Hawaiians in the interest of national security, to my mind.

In any event, since micro-scale rice cultivation on the Big Island (whether for home subsistence use and/or for sale locally in farmer’s markets as a boutique crop) is no economic threat whatsoever to the huge California rice growers, I --perhaps naively-- do not anticipate reluctance on the California mega-scale rice growers' part to sharing both information and seed in a friendly and collegial manner. I'll ask my brother-in-law if he'll tap into his family contacts toward that end. If it turns out nobody who already knows which varieties of rice grow best in Hawaii is willing to share that information, then we can certainly figure it out for ourselves through direct experimentation.

While all the above was happening, back on Oahu the friendly fellow at APHIS had been busy. He wrote again, saying:

I called a colleague of mine -a PhD in agronomy who is a retired scientist of the Kauai, University of Hawaii Experiment Station. While there he did research on many subjects but also on Rice.
He said he is happy to talk to you if you wish to know about rice culture in Hawaii.... He also said he does not know of anyone growing rice commercially in Hawaii nor if there is anyone with rice as a crop. He recommends that you go ahead and use the rice seeds from California and get familiar with the crop. There are a lot of problems, water management and pest control (rice birds) are but two of them but do it to find out if this is really what you want to do...

Good advice, all. I telephoned the retired researcher on Kauai. He is an extremely well-informed and friendly fellow who is originally from the Philippines. Indeed, here in the US he used to train Peace Corps volunteers in rice cultivation methods before they shipped out for service overseas. The professor had several comments which I found interesting; paraphrased, they were:

Economics --not cultivation constraints-- extinguished rice cultivation in Hawaii. Hawaii used to export rice to California.

Lowland rice grows well in combination with taro; pretty much anywhere taro will grow lowland rice will grow in the same spot.

Lowland rice is easier to grow than upland rice.

Upland rice grows well pretty much anywhere sugar cane grows well, though not necessarily in combination with one another.

The professor also thinks it is a very good idea for folks on the Big Island to have viable seed stock on hand and know how to grow it, especially if the islands ever need to be self-sufficient in their own food production.

Delightfully enough, from his origins back in the Philippines the retired professor on Kauai recognized the distinctive purple rice I described from my time on Bali; he says in the Philippines it is called "Purple Rice" in the local language and is used for dessert dishes. Same stuff, I feel sure, as I myself originally ate it in sweet desserts on Bali as well (palm sugar and milk mixed together with the purple rice in a sort of porridge or custard). He suggested that if the USDA seed repositories in the USA do not already have the purple rice available then he could work with me and others interested in trialing small plots on the Big Island to obtain a couple pounds of purple rice and other types of rice seed from IRRI or direct from sources in SE Asia, legitimately, with all the necessary permits for a research trial. It would be most useful, he agreed, if a number of people were interested in cultivating small plots as then it could be tested at different elevations and in a diversity of local micro-climates.

The professor and I exchanged contact information, I am sending him the link to this online discussion (as I have with all those I've spoken with or corresponded to date), and I look forward to interacting more with him on this interesting project -especially once I am actually living on-island full time and can really play with planting and cultivating some test plots myself. He agrees there is significant potential for developing local rice production of "exotic" varieties for not only household consumption but also for barter and sale in local farmer's markets. Standard commercial white polished rice and sticky rice grown in Hawaii could not possibly compete with California-produced rice (grown in millions of tons as it is there the economics of scale favor importation over local production when it comes to price) ...but special long-grain and unpolished "boutique" rice varieties, locally grown in small plots, which simply would not be available for purchase should do very well. Worth exploring further, IMHO.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

"There's a scientific reason to be concerned and there's a scientific reason to push for action. But there's no scientific reason to despair."

Steve, Thank you so much for keeping us updated on The Further Adventures of Cultivating Rice in Hawaii. It's turning into quite an intriguing story! Twists and turns at every new meeting... and we haven't even startd growing it yet!

There are some interesting ideas coming to surface, especially from 'the professor from Kauai' - what a gem he's turning out to be! I wonder if he would be willing to come over and train us potential rice-growers, if we actually get that far along?

Eagerly awaiting the next chapter ;-)

aloha, Liz

"The best things in life aren't things."
If anyone actually gets to growing rice, I am VERY interested in the rice husks. Does anyone have a processing unit here on the Big Island to husk rice???

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"

OK, here is an update.

On 20OCT2008 I wrote again to the friendly administrator at UHH to whom I had been referred on this topic:

“Following up on your note I have checked and it appears the California Rice Growers Association went bankrupt in 2004. All of my efforts to contact anyone connected to the RGA have been futile. My brother-in-law's mother was an actual member of the RGA for many years, so he asked her how I could request a copy of the Hawaii rice study. She said that as far as she knows the organization is completely defunct and gone. She knew of no way to even make such a request.

Could you please ask the Kauai Ag Research Center administrator if he has viable contact info for the CRGA he can share with me, or --given the organization went defunct in 2004 as appears to be the case-- what the process would be in this circumstance for obtaining a copy of the University of Hawaii/CTAHR Kauai Ag Research Center study or studies describing which strains of rice grow best in Hawaii?”

On 20OCT 2008 she replied:

“I will inquire.... I'm not sure that records were kept by CTAHR.”

It will be genuinely astounding to me if the University of Hawaii/CTAHR Kauai Ag Research Center did not keep a copy of research studies done on which strains of rice grow best in Hawaii. That would be a real jaw-dropper if the data were discarded after all the work to obtain findings.

On 10NOV2008 I followed up with this note:

“Thanks for checking with the University of Hawaii/CTAHR Kauai Ag Research Center on studies describing which strains of rice grow best in Hawaii. It sure will save us all a bunch of bother & expense and would quite rightly advance good public relations between UH and the community if this information were freely available to the local people whom it most directly concerns.

There is significant interest among small-scale gardeners, farmers, and "aquaponics" hobbyists on the Big Island in testing and maintaining local rice plants for seed stock. To date nobody has expressed an interest in attempting any sort of commercial large scale rice production (and would probably be doomed by economics before starting even if someone wished to do so). The desire as expressed to me is simply toward small scale production for domestic consumption and to eventually gradually develop well-adapted strains of rice which thrive best in local conditions.

If the strains of rice already identified by the University of Hawaii/CTAHR Kauai Ag Research Center as being viable here were to be named, then with this information we could proceed to efficiently and legally obtain starter seed. I have been in communication with a retired researcher --an agronomy professor-- who used to train Peace Corps volunteers in rice cultivation methods; he is an extremely knowledgeable and friendly fellow. If I can identify the appropriate rice strains to start out with and then obtain the most appropriate types of starter seed from sources on the mainland, then it is my hope to bring this experienced instructor together with interested community members for a hands-on workshop and field site visits to test plots sometime next year. If the university is interested in hosting an evening lecture on rice cultivation in Hawaii, open to the community, then perhaps the good professor would also be willing to speak at UHH while on the Big Island. Please let me know if this is something which would be of interest to UHH and if so then I will check with the professor regarding his availability.

I met with a couple of other interested landowners last week; we walked several prospective rice test plot sites in Puna as well as north of Hilo and discussed how best to proceed. We agreed that if the information on viable rice strains already known to the University of Hawaii/CTAHR Kauai Ag Research Center is made available this would be ideal, but even if not then we are still proceeding forward, albeit less efficiently. If we have the Hawaii rice studies information to go on then we will apply to the USDA seed banks for starter seed of those types, otherwise I will source and line up viable commercial rice seed for us to use via contacts in California and Louisiana. Inviting and bringing the retired professor to the Big Island next year for him to share his knowledge on rice cultivation techniques would be the next step. We anticipate doing some advertising beforehand to get word of this opportunity out to the community, followed by press coverage of the workshop event while the professor is on the Big Island. If UHH is uninterested in hosting an evening lecture but our visiting instructor is willing to speak, then we will rent the Palace Theater for that purpose.

Thanks again for checking on the availability of the University of Hawaii/CTAHR Kauai Ag Research Center studies describing which strains of rice grow best in Hawaii; I look forward to learning the results of your inquiry as well as to working together collaboratively with UHH next year if there is interest in participating together with the community vis a vis an evening speaking engagement on the topic of rice cultivation in Hawaii.”

---

I will post an update to Punaweb if there are any significant developments to report. Meanwhile, you may be interested to see the figures on rice production in this interesting article Experts: Global Food Shortages Could ‘Continue for Decades' at http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article3782.html

Also, regarding rice husks (or hulls, as they are also commonly called), not only is the straw from harvested rice plants useful in padi straw mushroom cultivation but rice hulls have a number of potential uses from adding fiber to pet food and animal feed to vermiculture. Some links:

Overview
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_hulls

Stoves
http://www.bioenergylists.org/en/beloniosuperrh
http://practicalaction.org/practicalansw...cts_id=224
http://www.repp.org/discussiongroups/res...otrau.html

Concrete
http://lejpt.academicdirect.org/A08/58_70.htm
http://www.ricehuskash.com/details.htm

Adsorbants
http://users.monash.edu.au/~webley/biomass.htm