Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Council to Decide on Plastic Bags for Big Island
After 100 replies, why don't we just have a poll on this issue? [Wink]

A straight yes or no answer is all that's needed. The poll will be up for one week.

*Edit* The poll that I posted was only for Plastic Shopping Bags.

-------
blog
Don't shoot the messenger!
quote:
Originally posted by Damon

A straight yes or no answer is all that's needed.

But that's the problem; nobody has the foggiest idea what they are banning. Bet half the people who vote yes to a ban really can't say what will be banned, why, and what's the impact. Bet even more assume something will happen that won't. Bet the majority can't even define the term "plastic bag". And as you see, many of the alternatives are as bad as what's being banned. Why not have a poll on similar dumb single line phrases like a poll to "Ban taxes".
Bob,

I agree with you. That's what this thread taught me--one must study the issue, educate the populace about recycling, composting and what bags are best to buy, and have a alternate bag in place that is a better choice.

Damon,

Haven't read your poll yet, but how about a short questionaire that would educate as well as poll opinion?

i.e. Would you support the replacement of plastic bags with reusable, canvas (nylon--[is that o.k.?],recycled, heavy duty plastic?) bags that you bring to stores in an effort to preserve ocean life (turtles, fish, albacore, etc.) and control plastic trash in the oceans?

april
april
Aprild -

I didn't want to slant the Poll in any way by informing/educating. I just wanted to poll people. I'll be using this polling device in some other decisions that I will be making down the road.

You can participate in the poll here

The Current Votes to the question:

Should Plastic Shopping Bags Be Banned on the Big Island?

Stand as of this posting at:

Yes 28 88%
No 4 13%

I'm not going to say anything else, other then I think the votes here are speaking for themselves. Reminder there is nothing scientific about this poll.[^]

-------
blog
To Damon
Why no poll on district 6? We are a part of Puna also.
quote:
Originally posted by aprild...Would you support the replacement of plastic bags with reusable, canvas (nylon--[is that o.k.?],recycled, heavy duty plastic?) bags that you bring to stores in an effort to preserve ocean life (turtles, fish, albacore, etc.) and control plastic trash in the oceans?...

No. The problem is still going to happen - only the bags will be fewer and bigger than plastic bags that groceries now go in.

I would support a completely organic replacement as a better option.
We also have to put everything in perspective.

Ireland for example prohibits the handing out of free plastic grocery bags, yet over 233,000,000 single plastic grocery bags were still used in a five month period. True, close to one billion plastic grocery bags will not be used that year, but 233 million in five months is still a heck of a lot of bags.

In Africa, plastic grocery bags have been replaced by many with plastic "garbage" bags, something not covered by the ban.

When you also consider that garbage bag sales have increased, that means many of those plastic grocery bags that doubled as waste can liners, diaper wrapping, pooper scoopers, wet cloths wrapper are just being replaced by another plastic bag.

I'm also told that in some areas, it’s a recent trend to use plastic bags because of the new availability. Many people have longed used other types of bags because they shopped locally and often. Not having the plastic grocery bags available is no big deal. In the US we tend towards filling the mini-van with bags after bags once a week. Most people probably can not remember when plastic bags weren't available or when paper bags were the norm.

If plastic bags are a problem to the extent people say they are, ban all items that create and contribute to the problem - plastic grocery bags, plastic garbage bags, dry cleaner bags, thin sheet plastic wrapping, cellophane wrapping, etc. If people are serious, let's get serious!
Bob,

I couldn't agree more. Complicated problem with a simple solution...outside the box? Maybe. It just seems so simple. We really don't need any of that stuff.

Bill
Plastic bags have their uses, from a sanitation standpoint, they're best by far. Plastic is the only thing that contains liquids good, and inhibits the entry of bacteria.

But mandating biodegradable bags would be a good step foreward in cleaning up our enviro. However a complete ban is foolish, economically and functionly.
Gordon J Tilley
Good thing they didn't ban my large plastic garbage bags!

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/arti...ocal06.txt

Plastic shopping bag ban advances
by Peter Sur
Tribune-Herald Staff Writer

Published: Thursday, August 14, 2008 10:23 AM HST
County plan may mean paper or reusable sacks
All Big Island businesses will be forbidden from providing plastic shopping bags, under penalty of a hefty fine, if a bill the County Council approved Wednesday passes into law.

The bill sailed through its first reading 7-0 at Wednesday's meeting. It requires one more affirmative vote two weeks from now before the council can send it over to the mayor for his signature or veto.

"Businesses are prohibited from providing plastic checkout bags to their customers at the point of sale beginning one year from the effective date of this ordinance," the bill states. "Businesses may instead provide only recyclable paper bags or reusable bags as checkout bags for their customers."

The bill says nonprofit organizations qualify as businesses; it would apply to everything from Wal-Mart to Hilo Farmers Market vendors.

Councilman Dominic Yagong, who is in the grocery store business, recused himself from the vote, and Councilman K. Angel Pilago was excused.

The bill further defines a recyclable paper bag as one that has no old growth fiber, is fully recyclable and has at least 40 percent recycled content.

The bill encourages making reusable or recyclable paper checkout bags available either for sale or without charge to customers.

"The only comment I really have on the bill is I'm primarily concerned if the bill passes, that there be some type of ... notification for merchants," Councilwoman Brenda Ford said. "My concern is that there are a lot of businesses that are not aware that it applies to them.

"They also aren't aware of the wording of what is a recyclable paper bag," Ford said.

Bobby Jean Leithead-Todd, director of the Department of Environmental Management, said some of the larger stores favor a ban on free bags.

Yagong, while not voting, expressed concern that the increased cost of the bill would be passed on to consumers.

"It's the consumers that keep holding the bag," Yagong said.

The bill provides for a fine of up to $1,000 and up to 200 hours of community service for each offense. Violators will be required to remove their plastic bags or will be liable for the cost of removing the bags, and each day of violation will constitute a separate offense.

Councilman Bob Jacobson told of how he spoke to a business owner in his district who said the bill would be harmful. Jacobson said that wasn't the case.

"I think the goal of this legislation is to change people's behavior more than anything else," Jacobson said.

Added Councilwoman Emily Naeole: "For the environment, I see it as a good thing."

E-mail Peter Sur at psur@hawaiitribune-herald.com.