Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Trees - Bad Trees
We recently had someone check our lot in Nanawale for Albezia trees. Fortunately, we just had a little one that they pulled up by hand. They did tell us that we had a "junk" Umbrella tree that should be cut down. Not being that familiar with the native plants, I would like to be sure that this is a type of tree that should be taken down. The tree is at the rear of the lot but someone is building a new home behind us and I would rather deal with this now rather than have a potential problem later. Thanks.
well, one thing to learn about how plants are regarded here is that there are more introduced species than "native." I mention native because you used that term. There are trees that are not junk and are also not native. Most all the fruit trees and flowering trees, in fact.

I would define a junk tree as something that either reproduces like crazy, or is known to fall over and cause damage (albizzia does both). Beyond that, some trees here get very tall and large and it's good to remove them if they're going to be too large for their site.

There's more than one tree called an "umbrella" tree. Do you know the name of it?
I would guess they are right about it being junk, but without a better ID it's tough to answer your question, as you said you want to be "sure."

Lastly, it's nice of you to be a good neighbor and care how your trees impact others.
Thanks Kathy. Unfortunately, the only description the inspector provided was that the tree was about 50 feet tall. The inspector also stated that it has a hollow trunk and branches. They sent us a picture of it but I am not sure how to allow others to look at it. I will do a little research and see if I can get a better name for it
well, if it's hollow, then I assume that means it could fall, which would be a problem if it fell onto your neighbors' property, no?

If you trust the inspector's assessment of its condition, I would get rid of it.
For a list of 'Hawaii's Most Invasive' go to:
http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dofaw/hortwe...eslist.htm

one of the common invasive trees that is refered to as 'umbrella trees' is the schefflera also know as 'octopus tree'. here is a link to the picture:
http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dofaw/hortwe...schact.htm

As was noted above, if it has hollow trunk & branches, no matter how good a tree type, it is not generally worth keeping, as it has a danger potential of falling limbs & tree AND the danger of harboring wood eating pests that will look to other places (your house) for snacks...
From what I have seen of various pictures, the tree in question appears to a "Schefflera Actinophylla" or an Octopus or Umbrella tree. Thank you to everyone who responded on this. I will make some inquiries to get rid of it. Does anyone know a reputable tree removal company that can handle this? Thanks.