Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
earthquake!!
I was at work today when the earthquake hit. I was getting Sunday ad signs out
when the walls started to shake. I immediately ran out of the office. A TV
fell down right in front of me.. It was really surreal and frightening. We ended
up staying out of the building until it was all clear.

Hey John - nope still only ponding.... did scare me a bit as pond dipped 1-2 inches and came back up!

Scott from Cali called and wanted to know if the quake was on the west side did that mean Kapoho tipped upwards and was his lot was a higher elevation today.... He gave me a good laugh when my nerves were a bit shaky!

-Cat

Aloha Punatics,

Just about everyone here - halfway up the Hamakua coast - had some sort of damage. Most of it was to dishes and things on shelves that had suicidal tendencies. We were lucky we only lost a lot of china, pantry items and knick knacks, but no structural damage to the house. A motorcycle fell over, but wasn't hurt. We have to rebuild a rock wall or two and there were some small landslides along the sides of our back yard. The road in the gulch is still closed from rocks and landslides but the small wooden bridge seems okay.

Some folks further up the coast in Paauilo had waterline and toilet breaks. Much messier and more expensive to fix. A bridge near Paauilo is half gone that will take awhile to fix and cause a lot of backed up traffic for a long time.

It seems the damage was greater the further up the coast you go. My DH was finally able to get into Honokaa today and he will be able to finally see how his classroom looks. He wore heavy work boots, a lifting belt and took a hand truck with him, I don't think he expects to find much left on any shelves and he had been worried about the two cars which had been up on the lifts in the autoshop classroom. He had reports about a "hazard" tape across his class room door and expects the big TV in the classroom as well as some of the computers are probably smashed.

It will take at least a couple days to get this mess cleaned up but nobody was hurt, not even any fish were sloshed out of their tank although a lot of the water was.

It was really nice to get coffee made this morning without any disasters.

A hui hou,
Cathy

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
There are some amazing pictures of the landslide into Kealakekua bay and dust clouds on the Flickr photo website.

I was awoken at 5:27AM this morning by my mom. As there was a moderate aftershock that occurred. It happened in the same general area where Sunday's earthquakes happened. Now I'm going to try to go back to sleep. What a wonderful way to start my day off from work Sad.

http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/hi/STO...splay.html
http://tux.wr.usgs.gov/Quakes/hv00021179.html

Edited by - Aaron S on 10/17/2006 06:07:40