Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
firearms how do you get them to hawaii
I have couple of firearms that were passed down from my grandfather, also have a couple rifles, dont really want to put them in storage.
Has anyone shipped their guns over, if so, What do you have to do. since 911 I know restrictions have tightened up. Does anyone know the process to get them over? Dont want to even try to do it illegaly, I have a clean record and want to keep it that way.
I do have a concealed weapons permit here in Idaho but know it wont cover me in Hawaii. My grandfathers guns I dont believe have ever been registered.

setting my soul free....
setting my soul free....
You can actually ship firearms pretty easily if you are shipping it directly to yourself. You can also take them on a flight with the right paper work and protocol, but that can become a huge pain with paranoid airport workers. Most states require that you register any firearms you bring into the state with the local sheriff or PD. I'm not sure what the law is in Hawaii. Follow this link for Hawaii firearm laws from the Hawaii Rifle Association.

http://hawaiirifleassociation.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=47
We shipped ours in our container when we came in 2002, then registered them at the police station in Hilo. We really wish now we had never brought them as no matter what we do they rust. We would have been better off selling them or giving them to relatives. If yours are something that are really sentimental, you may wish to leave them in storage on the mainland. Others we have met since moving here have gone ahead and had to ship there's back to the mainland at great expense so that they would quit rusting.
I just brought my rifle a few months ago right on the plane. It's easy. The airline just checks it in and makes sure there is no ammo. They then take it and mine came back to me right on the conveyor belt with all the other bags. You do need it registered in your name because that is one thing they do check.

Chris
Chris

We shippedquote]Originally posted by dcl
[ ours in our container when we came in 2002, We really wish now we had never brought them as no matter what we do they rust. We would have been better off selling them or giving them to relatives. If yours are something that are really sentimental, you may wish to leave them in storage on the mainland. Others we have met since moving here have gone ahead and had to ship there's back to the mainland at great expense so that they would quit rusting.
[/quote]
Sorry, I neglected to add my bit of info. What I wanted to say was buy stainless steel guns, they will never rust.
Which would be great if that is what you owned when you bring them. As lostboy was asking about older rifles I would assume they are not stainless, no?
Also lostboy, when we did arrive and took them into the police station to register, one of the rifles was really old and had been passed down through family, unfortunately when they ran it there were issues with the rifle and it took months of tracking the rifle through the generations of pictures, plus sworn statements, to prove it was legally ours, we thought we would never get it back. We were from a state previously with no registration, so had not run into that issue before.
thank you for the advice, maybe
i will store them with dad.

setting my soul free....
setting my soul free....
The absolute best oil I have ever found for anything you don't want to rust is "fluid film"
They sell it a John Deere dealers and online. spray cans and gallons.
http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com/

It is made from wool wax (lanolin)

I used to use "eezox" This stuff is incredible. It got to where I couldn't find it anywhere, I assumed it was discountinue because anything that worked that well must have been a major carcingen or somethingSmile but I just found it again online http://www.eezox.com/gun-care.html

Anyway, these products are a must if you live in a humid or marine conditions and they can be used on all kinds of things.