Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kale Gumapac for District 5
With the primary election approaching I wanted to write about Council District 5 (Puna) and it’s representation.

When Emily Naeole was elected in 2006 it was an exciting moment for many local residents. Puna is a Hawaiian district in Hawaii County in the State of Hawaii. Puna has one of the highest populations of Native Hawaiians in the state. I had concerns about Emily Naeole’s qualifications for council but thought that it was very, very appropriate to have a Hawaiian man or woman representing our district. I still believe that.

My hopes that Councilwoman Naeole would grow into the position have not materialized. It is a difficult job and not everyone’s talents lend themselves to representative government. Ms. Naeole has contributed in many ways to the district and I know that she has given her best effort but I believe experience has shown that her talents lie in other directions. Mahalo to Emily.

We have a number of qualified candidates for District 5 this year. That is great. I am confident, not knowing the outcome of this race, that Puna will be well represented this next term.

Some of the reasons I have chosen to support Kale Gumapac for council are that he is quite capable and qualified. He listens and he does his homework. I do not always agree with him but I don’t have to. He is easy to engage in any discussion of any issue. He is also a Native Hawaiian and can help to keep an important cross section of Puna represented and involved.

Please consider voting for Kale Gumapac for Council District 5.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I agree.

This week I was invited to a Kanaka Council meeting with the USFWS regarding the delisting of the 'Io. Tension was most definitely in the air, and communication threatened to break down at every turn. Yet Kale skillfully re-focused the meeting each time. He was articulate and civil, but definitely got down to business. Kale is a real consensus builder. I was amazed at how much was accomplished by the end of the meeting.

This is the kind of leadership and vision Puna needs.

I don't usually make a habit of endorsing polititians. Most of the time I think the stuff they spew is kinda S.O.S. - but Kale has really impressed me. I believe he understands the issues we are facing here in Puna and has the passion, smarts and savy to be a strong advocate for positive change in our district.

Come out and vote for Kale!

Aloha,
Mitzi
Uluhe Design
Native Landscape Design
uluhedesign@yahoo.com
Good choice...but I find it hard to support anyone who puts their sign next to the "upside down" State flag.
I will also be voting for Kale today....