Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
car insurance
Any reccomendations for agents on the dark side? Hows it go....Insurance...safety inspection...registration?
And how and where do I get my Hawaii residency card and what do I need as proof or residency? Thanks Kahunascott

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
I have dwelling and commercial liability with Shigeru "Muggs" Kataoka 808-969-7174 ext 224, Pyramid Insurance Centre. He has been very helpful since 1990 and I assume he also handles auto insurance.

Allen
Baton Rouge, LA & HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
Aloha,

If you're coming from North America and have had insurance for a while with some company there that also does business here, be sure to get a quote from that company for insurance here.

In my case I paid far less (about half) staying with the same company - because of being with them for years - than anything I could have gotten here from a different company...even though they were not one of the least expensive companies here if starting from scratch (Allstate - Lyle Hedrix in Hilo is my agent).

Years ago you could walk off the plane and go to the state building and as long as you had a local address to use you could get a state ID (not driver's licence, but state picture ID good for everything else but driving) within a few days.
Don't know if it's that quick or easy now.

Driver's license here is quick though, they have the instant digital camera and signature and lamination. Walk in, fill out form (assuming you have valid license from other state), take eye test, take picture and give signature, pay, wait a few minutes and they hand you your HI driver's license.

cheers,
John S.

i found geico to be the cheapest, and have been with them since i moved over. it's simple to get a safety, most gas stations with auto repair shops do them, cost $15.50. the dmv is downtown hilo right beeside the planning and tax office.

For a driver's license, the written test is required, but not the behind-the-wheel test. The exam is mostly common sense, but there is a study guide available. The whole process still took less than an hour.

I had State Farm back on the mainland, but ended up changing my insurance once here. It seemed to me like both of the two different State Farm agents I spoke two were not interested in new business, coming up with reasons not to get things done. And I had never had a claim on homeowner's, and had been claim free on auto for 12 years. Lyle Hedrix at Allstate was friendly, efficient, and thorough.

Just to chime in here we have Geico, and have had a windshield claim which they handled efficiently, not even any paper work for us!!

We will be using them in Puna also and the rate is less in Puna, probably because there is less traffic for now, is my guess.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA