Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
burning
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

When we were renting out our ohana..."

you rented out your family? [Big Grin]

growing up in 'ewa beach, o'ahu, we were amazed by the cane burning. ahes floated around for several blocks. now, no cane fields. just fields and fields of houses.

today, i'd probably have a problem with the smoke. back then, i didn't. and, by the way, the winds are about to change again later this week, so get ready for the vog.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

quote:
Originally posted by kani-lehua

growing up in 'ewa beach, o'ahu, we were amazed by the cane burning. ahes floated around for several blocks. now, no cane fields. just fields and fields of houses.

I lived on Ewe Beach Rd 1979-81. Sure do remember the cane and burning. Also remember driving Kunia Rd - cane one side, pineapple the other.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
Shhhhhhhh!!!! Puna is still secret. Don't tell everybody we get the cleanest air and cheepest aina! No let nobody Know..

One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
They still burn cane here in South Fl. It only bothers me when the ash falls on my car when it's still wet from the dew. SWYS, I doubt you live far enough west to get the ash.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
like dakine said, there were a lot of bad chemicals spread around. When I first visited Hamakua coast, 12 years ago, there was a citizen group meeting at the B&B where I stayed. We heard a lot about how these folks who no longer had jobs, also had very high rates of cancer and other disease as a result of chronic exposure to the chemicals.

I have spent some time talking to residents of North Kohala who were around the cane, worked for the cane, and the prevalence of cancer comes up, almost casually.

but sure, let's bring back working in the cane fields and working with asbestos in the shipyards. It's a job, right?
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

quote:
like dakine said, there were a lot of bad chemicals spread around.
yes. everything and everyone was contaminated. the people, the land and the water.

quote:
but sure, let's bring back working in the cane fields and working with asbestos in the shipyards. It's a job, right?

no. and don't forget about the use of chemicals/fertilizers that the big boys are still using today (monsanto and others). it's been reported that their own employees have developed different cancers.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

quote:
Originally posted by oink

They still burn cane here in South Fl. It only bothers me when the ash falls on my car when it's still wet from the dew. SWYS, I doubt you live far enough west to get the ash.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

No ash here Pua`a. Down on the Intracoastal.
I heard FL grows more sugar than any other state. I can almost believe it from the view coming into West Palm Beach airport approching from the west. As far as the eye can see to the south is sugar cane. The state had a deal in the works to buy all of the land on which cane is grown and contributed to the decline in health of the Everglades, and return it to its natural state in hopes of helping the Everglades recover. The deal was recently amended to reduce the % of the land to be bought, so the cane growers continue to clog up the fresh water flow into the swamp and keep the chemical agent runoff flowing. Dang - I'm not usually that vocal, but this was my first thought when I heard of the change to that plan.
I don't like the dust on my car at work from the boat yard on one side and the 2 y/o construction job putting in a marina and boat launch complex on the other. It's really the wind thats to blame. The rest is just commerce, development and progress eh?

BTW...do you know of http://www.hoikehawaii.com/ ? They meet at Disney. Last year we saw Makaha Sons and Hoku Zuttermester performances there.