Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Tool bag: Flying near you visible w/time lapse
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I am grateful I am still alive after all I've seen and one. I'll never forget the time my horse fell between the ties on a trestle over a dry riverbed....and the train was coming. We both lived through it with no injuries from the train.
Speaking of things coming your way, as you know, an astronaut let go of a $100,000 tool bag a few days ago. That tool bag is now in low earth orbit and spinning around. As best I can determine, that tool bag will be traveling in the sky east of Puna and should be visible in the Puna skies between 12:45 a.m. and 1:02 a.m. on Saturday 11/29. It is traveling about five miles a second, so blink and you will miss it. As you look toward the ocean, it should be traveling from southeast to northwest. I am not sure of the angle.

I hope I have the times right as I am converting from Greenwich Mean Time. Astronomers please correct me if I am wrong, and casual observers, let me know if you see it!

Gobble gobble!
Just a chance to say HAPPY THANKSGVINT to you all...... you are in our hearts. Pam and Bob Lamont
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Glen, thanks for the tip, but where did you get your information from? I just signed up to www.heavens-above.com and put in my (Puna) location and the local time zone. They say there won't be any sighting opportunities for the toolbag or the space station until at least after Dec. 7th.

Judging by the graphic on the website, the ISS is passing well to the South of Hawaii today, and during daylight hours.
Alas!

You are right, I think. The site is www.n2yo.com where you can track the bag, the shuttle and other orbiting objects. On the map this is a very close pass just to the East of of Hawaii running SE to NW. However, when I checked the box for visible passes (which I didn’t see before), the pass evaporated. So I think you are right. Here is the information on the pass: (date, time azimuth).

7 Nov 29 - 00:52:45 330 00:57:30 47 37.85 01:02:15 129
debris from earth thrown out in space (dropped i guess) coming back down to litter somewhere off of puna coast? weird.
Nah, just flying by. Chances of it dropping on Puna are infintesimal.
She panicked over getting some grease on her gloves and spacesuit, ripped into the rag stash, while the whole secondary tool bag crossed her chest and was gone before she even noticed. She should finish her career lubing trucks. And where was the lanyard?
Bag has been seen with binocs, but will be June next year at best. Should disintegrate entirly.
Gordon J Tilley
Toolbag update, passing over Puna area 12/10. Figure with my binoculars
in one hand, drink in the other it will be a sure sighting[Big Grin]
(http://www.spaceweather.com/flybys/searc...?zip=96749)
Visible but dim! I'll take it! Your task: sight it and report back!

UPDATE: It appears the tool bag is only visible under the best of circumstances (Hawaii's dark skies are pretty good), but if you know where it is, it will show up on a digital camera where the lense is left open for a few seconds.