Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preventing meningitis caused by parasites
Does anyone know what is happening with Councilwoman Naeole's proposal to hire someone to get the word out to the community?

Just wanted to pass along a warning about another threat of rat lungworm ingestion.

A friend was eating a mountain apple, and after she ate some of the outside she bit in closer to the center and it fell apart, revealing a full-grown semi-slug inside. As no openings were visible it wasn't clear at that point how the slug made its way into the center of the fruit, but she surmised it may have involved the stem end.

This mountain apple had not been laying around; it had just been picked from the tree.

Hi Dave Smith, I hope your friend induced vomiting. That is probably the best immediate defense if you know you have ingested something questionable. The recently deposited slime can also contain the nematode, even if she did not eat part of the slug. Birds drill into the fruit and geckos and rats gnaw at the soft skinned mountain apple and that is probably how the slug got in there, I would guess. I just saw your post from a while ago, and the rat lung worm educational funding is at last beginning to get final approval. Takes a long time to go through all the red tape apparently. Hope your friend will be well. If she has any symptoms that have been cataloged on this thread she should get treatment. The Hilo Hospital now knows what this illness is.
Shekelpal, she did try, to be on the safe side, but was unsuccessful. She's pretty sure she didn't eat any slug parts as she was just eating the outside. I know slime trails can be a concern but I'm hoping that the info from AlaskaSteven's Australian researcher contacts is correct, in that it's not likely to ingest many if any of the L3 larvae from that. We considered using Ivermectin, but decided that her risk was not high enough for that.

Thanks for the update on the educational efforts. It will be interesting to see what comes of it.
Thanks smith you gives the information. It's really information. We have to take care from this problem. Once again thanks for sharing this info.

http://www.trustmydrugs.com

http://www.trustmydrugs.com/kamagra.aspx
I use regular salt on them. Early in the morning, I'll walk around the yard, place a pinch of salt directly on their heads and they die..easy cheap way to control slugs.
Happy slug hunting..SmileSalt works great!
quote:
Originally posted by esnap

Have any of y'all tested the efficacy of epsom's salt for the control of slugs and snails?

Slugs are attracted to, and killed by BEER. In the evening, put a small bowl of beer in a shallow indentation in the soil so the lip of the bowl is flush with the ground, then almost fill it with cheap beer. (Expensive beer probably works just as well). For some reason the slugs are attracted to the beer and drown in the bowl. This trick was taught to me in the 1970's by the head brewmaster of Henry's brewery (when it was still independently owned and not part of a global corporation). He used the small aluminum pans from single serving Swanson's "pot pies" as the bowls and placed them throughout his garden. Every morning each little bowl would have 5-6 dead slugs in them.

Apparently, stale beer draws in more slugs than fresh beer- perhaps a good use for the "leftovers" after a party?

It sounds crazy but it works, or at least it did on Oregon slugs.
There were some questions asked a day or two ago in another more recent RLD discussion thread which are answered in this older strand (cat & parrot L3 infection, etc). This older discussion also contains a bunch of very detailed information on rat lungworm disease issues which folks relatively new to Punaweb may have missed seeing the first time around, so I am bumping this older discussion such that it will float back up from the depths of the Punaweb archives into sight again at the top of the list.

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

MSP's wingsuit segment from "Seven Sunny Days"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0tU3Hy7et8&feature=related

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php