Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stealing rental cars
We'll be on island in March and of course we'll have a rental car. Should we get the extra insurance to cover it for car theft? I hate to ask the "counter people" since I don't want to tip them off. Is there even such a thing as rental car theft insurance? We have great auto coverage for our personal cars here and we are *generally* covered when on trips. It would just be nice not to have to submit a claim and have our rates go up - basically keep it at the car rental level.
I've been to Hawaii so many times before and never had a problem, but after seeing what's posted here, I'm thinking my luck's gotta run out soon.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
As far I can tell, all the cars reported stolen from lower Puna on this forum have had their keys taken while laying unattended in a pack or bag. The simple solution would be to keep your key with you, or keep a vigilent eye on your stuff.

Y'all come on over and enjoy!
I thought car theft was covered already by the standard insurance, you many want to check that.
It is very cheap and effective to add a rider to your personal automobile policy to cover "non-owned vehicles" (i.e. rental cars). Much, much less expensive than acquiring over the counter coverage.

Call your agent and ask.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
You need to add it to your existing policy, it is far cheaper than buying it from the rental company. Also, if you use a platinum Amex card, I think you get some pretty good insurance with that.

Also, since all keys are electronic now you cannot swim or snorkel with them on your body unless you use a small air tight bag called a dry bag for your keys. Or if it is your own car, you can get a key without electronics from your dealer. This is what they call a "Vallet Key". Carey told me about it and we got one for our Audi before we left the mainland. We could not get one for the SAAB without a wait and we did not have time for that.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com
www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
Car theft is very rare with rental cars. Vandalism is more likely.

Your personal insurance coverage for comprehensive would come into play, and whatever deductible you have. Your personal contents are not covered. They would be covered by homeowner's or renter's insurance, usually with a hefty deductible, and that's really a claim that could work against you in future.

There's a contents coverage that was offered to us last time we rented (on Oahu). It was available without taking the entire insurance.

Make sure you have collision on your personal insurance. If you bump into anything, you'll be paying that deductible.

Find out whether your rental car agency is going to "allow" you to drive on unpaved roads; most do not. Ask your insurer if you're covered on a gravel or cinder road, if the rental contract prohibits it. Very possibly you will have no coverage.
Eight Fingers: 1st visit w/ your insurance agent. Many policies do not cover non-owned vehicles & if they cover rental cars the time period is limited. I have added the non-owned vehicle rider on State Farm for a couple of extra bucks per month, so it basically covers most contingencies such as loss of use, your stuff in the car, etc. Basically covers everything except your deductible (in that case most of your travel credit cards will pick that up). Also, you can borrow your neighbors car in that case and still be covered.

Also, I have Full Glass coverage for a couple extra bucks a month. Covers all glass w/ no deductible such as if a rock hits your windshield or a vandal decides to break out all of your windows (happended to my friend at a parking lot in Kauai). I have already replaced my windshield for free that way & oops its cracked again (time for a new one).

You have to abide by all rental agency rules or any coverage may be discounted and of course no drinking & driving Smile

Take the normal precautions. Like take your key with you & watch it at all times (I like a neck chain, keeps me from locking myself out). Don't leave anything really valuable in the car. Camera & laptops should go in your day pack (watch them) or secured at the hotel.

Typically the rental companies offer you a fee per day to cover your deductible but last time I put a dent in a rental I would have only saved half of my deductible.

Happy Travels, TheodoreJay
Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll be talking to my agent! We will be renting a Jeep 4wd and we are supposed to be allowed to drive on cinders/gravel. I'll make sure of this when we rent the car.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

It would just be nice not to have to submit a claim and have our rates go up - basically keep it at the car rental level.
Insurance companies subscribe to fraud prevention services. The purpose is to make sure you are not an insurance scammer and to evaluate your true risk when offering or renewing a policy. Guess what one of the item reported to these companies? Claims against rental car companies!

quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

We have great auto coverage for our personal cars here and we are *generally* covered when on trips.
The Golden Rule is READ and UNDERSTAND what your policy (using your personal auto policy for rentals), what the rental company policy (coverage that is provided by or you purchase from the rental agency), or what any incentive policy (credit card, auto club, etc) covers, won’t cover, and how they function.