Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Puna Stuck In a Rut? Positive Solutions?
I have constantly be advocating that more people attend and participate in Mainstreet Pahoa Association (MSPA). It's a good local group.

I also will continue to press for MSPA to take the lead on the formation of a Pahoa Village Design District. Until the Woodland Center broke ground no one seemed to care. Okay, aside from protesting how about people get together and help form a legal Design District?
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
You can recruit me, Rob! Let's be the founders.

"How do you know i am mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the cat "or you wouldnt have come here."
"How do you know i am mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the cat "or you wouldnt have come here."
Basic fundamental questions need to be asked, and from my perspective, I don't see them being asked. Pahoa is of academic interest to me, mainly, as I see it as the model for what will happen to Volcano, here ten or fifteen years out--but I'd rather good things happened down the hill than bad. Although, one can learn from both.

Here are two thoughtful guys asking real questions. It's worth thinking about. Please take the time to read these.

http://islandnotes.wordpress.com/2009/06...ming-soon/

[url]
http://japaninsight.wordpress.com/2009/0...of-hawaii/[/url]
I read your links and they are interesting. I read them before. I regret that you don't see fundamental questions being asked because I believe that they have been asked and are being asked and answers are being brought forth. Whether or not people embrace any of these answers or questions remains to be seen.

The link discussing tourists made use of the phrase sense of place. The proposal above (design district) is a method and manner of gathering the community to define and protect it's sense of place.

Now that obviously will not solve every issue but it is an attempt to reinforce a sense of place for Pahoa Village and you might try to recognize that a substantial number of people have been applying thought to these topics for some time now. It just may not be in a form you instantly recognize.

Community Radio for Puna would be wonderful. Punaweb tries, in it's humble way, to provide a level of local communication. Some folks have not appreciated my focus on local for Punaweb and the definition gets stretched and challenged from time to time. But PW is here for that primary purpose and it is the beginning of a solution too. Now in it's sixth year.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator