Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unleashed dogs
OINK! You forgot the best solution... Move to a safer neighborhood! There are plenty of them!

Also, call animal control every time you see a dog off leash and if you live in Hilo, apparently calling the police also works.

quote:
Originally posted by oink

Choices:
1)Remain inside your home as you're afraid to walk in your own neighborhood.

2)Drive to someones elses neighborhood and hope they don't have the same or simular dog problem.

3)Walk in your own neighborhood, in fear, remaining at the mercy of any "bad" dogs, so as to not offend a dog owner, but risk injury or death by mauling.

4)Walk in your own neighborhood unafraid, as you are prepared for the unexpected, but risk a later confrontation with a dogs owner should an undesired situation arise.

Hmm, let me think on that!

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
And be aware! when you give loose dogs, esp. aggressive loose dogs, any kind of cookie, treat or positive reinforcement for aggressive seeming behavior towards you... you are reinforcing that behavior

Dogs are fairly easy to reward train. If a loose dog is charging you & gets a treat (whether thrown away from you or from your hand or..), it will have a conditioned response training session, ie, "I bark &/or run at &/or lunge at this person & I got a treat, so barking & running at and lunging at people is good." That is not the conditioned response I believe that anyone on this thread would want.

(My only expertise at training animals is over a decade doing volunteer work on conditioned response training at an aquarium with several big fish species, & having worked on research papers on the responses. That, along with having quite a few large breed dogs all but the last 4 years of my life, inc. a husky/staffordshire mix. I only have worked with neighbor dogs on the islands, as we STILL haven't finished our house & yard/ fence YET, & I would want to have that finished before taking on the responsibility of a dog)
Dogs are like children, a long term commitment. My current Golden and I have been together 8 years 4 of which he has spent in my (our) bed - grin.

His worst aggressive crime ever - taking a cheeseburger from an old lady holding it too low in a buffet line - lightning fast sneak attack - my fault not keeping an eye on him, even though he was on a lead.

Its temperament, breed and training. A well adjusted dog will not attack, again a well adjusted dog will not attack..

If you need to weary of the animal be doubly so of the owner is my opinion.

My background lifelong affiliation. I took my first obedience ribbon in the late seventies. Dalmation, they can be really nasty by the way –related to pits – look at a well bred pit, you will see the spots.

My family members currently breed, sell and train Rottweilers……… perfect dog after 1 year of conditioning.

And Id bean one of those too if he were to become aggressive. - I would rather have it deal with me than one of the grandkids. In the meantime if you forgot your 5 wood in the car.... its nice to have a few vanilla wafers in your back pocket

My last mad dog post

Aloha

Funny thing is I have more trouble w/ dogs in Hawaii than people. Most dogs will back off if you throw rocks in their general direction. Also, explains why I pack my pepper spray in my checked bag for walks on the beach and just generally minding my own business :/ A wack stick or large umberella doubles as a weapon if a dog really gets out of conrrol. Typical response from allot of Owners is....oh he wouldn't hurt anyone (now how do I know that).
two punawebbers have said that amonia works--the dogs will back off if sprayed. as an experiment, it was suggested to spray/pour some of the amonia along the fence line to see if the loose dogs would stay away from our gate/fence. haven't tried it yet, but will after it stops raining.
----------------

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

If you've got a water bottle, just flicking some water at them often helps.
The dogs, that is.