Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marijuana Damages DNA And May Cause Cancer
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...095940.htm

old news - the rolling papers are worse for you than the cannabis, anytime you burn something food, gasoline and yes pot it crates carcinogens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporizer

cant help with the gasoline - grin

Aloha
quote:
Originally posted by HiloHaole

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...095940.htm

Wow, I can't believe someone would post this nonsense!?!?

-----------

Let's get together and over grow the government!!!!
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Note: Breathing earth air, drinking water, walking in the sun, eating commercial foodstuffs, and taking medication can also destroy DNA and may cause cancer.
Sure, anything can increase the chance of cancer but the question is by how much. Smoking anything is far more dangerous than just about any other common activity. From that study it seems smoking pot is more dangerous in that regard than smoking tobacco but people tend to smoke more tobacco anyway.
I think we all can agree that smoking anything is no good for our bodies! You might as well wrap your lips around an exhaust pipe and inhale! That said, that is why vaporizers are becoming more and more popular!

-----------

Let's get together and over grow the government!!!!
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Marijuana is obviously an important topic to many Punawebbers and we have an upcoming issue in Hawaii as there is a proposal that medical marijuana laws regarding distribution need to be updated. However if we are ever going to close to rational on the medical effects we need to always look at the bigger picture. There's sometimes a problem that non-science people take a single study as defining the reality of a topic. In fact, many studies are required to form useful and replicable hypotheses about any subject of study. It is simply not true that "anything" will cause cancer. Here's a study that actually looked at lung damage, hypothesized that damage would be found and in fact not only found little or none, but found positive effects on the lungs from inhaling marijuana. Additionally, in its survey the study did find significant correlation between tobacco and cancer.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/con...01729.html

The largest study of its kind has unexpectedly concluded that smoking marijuana, even regularly and heavily, does not lead to lung cancer.

The new findings "were against our expectations," said Donald Tashkin of the University of California at Los Angeles, a pulmonologist who has studied marijuana for 30 years. "We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use," he said. "What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."

Everyone is ignoring the research which has shown that there is NO link between lung cancer and pot smoking.
In fact,pot has been shown to be tumor-inhibiting.

Cigarettes are extremely carcinogenic, particularly due to the chemical additives they contain, e.g. formaldehyde, etc. Unadulterated tobacco is far safer to smoke.

While it is true that many things in life, including sunshine, are potentially carcinogenic, this is a poor argument in favor of smoking pot. Citing the studies that have shown no cancer-pot link is a better argument.

Actually there are certain substances, like the herb, mullein, that are smoked to heal the lungs.

Read the scientific literature, listen to your body and make your own informed choice about smoking pot.

Vaporizing is a possible healthier alternative. And Alice B. Toklas brownies are another. Smile

april
april
I'm hoping that most people realize I was being just a bit "cheeky" in my above comments about cancer-causing things, yet I do believe there is a link between lung cancer and pot smoking because it makes sense. And so what if there is a connection? User beware, and enjoy in moderation.