Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selling your house: Ways to improve it!
to lucy,

in condo situations especially when rooms tend to be on the smallish site it always better to reduce furniture to the bare minimum to give the illusion of more flow and spacious feel to the room...a stager can use the owners furniture if its a look that works well with their selling acumen and what really is presentable - again in condos less really is more just to set a stage that you can really live in the place even if its down to the bare table, chairs and flowers...thats why you see dining areas with no extentions on the table, usually round tables with two chairs and not four (condo situations) enough that everyone can walk through and think that the space really has enough room for their 10 seating heavy walnut table, credenza and hutch.

a good stager will be able to charge you per hour and use your things that are worthy....those that charge for a whole project will use more of their own stuff so they can charge more - but if you have great furniture and accents - i would definitely shop around for referrals to stagers that can charge an hourly with minimum timeframe.
good luck with your sale

noel

Thanks Noel!

I will keep all of that in mind when it comes time to sell our house, whenever that will be, at this point, I am not sure at all.

Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheLanai
Lucy

Lucy, your note reminded me of our house sale 1 1/2 years ago. We started downsizing 2 years ago, thinking that we would be RVing for a few years to find our next home. All of our big furniture went to a couple of friends who were starting out a second time (one had not had a house for over 20 years, after being in the Peace Corps!)
When it came time to list our house, we actually had very little furniture and mostly bare walls! Used a folding table as our breakfast room table, slid black plastic drain tubes over the folding legs (one 10' piece covered the 4 legs), borrowed some cafe chairs from a neighbor, placed a pretty table cloth, set the table for 2, with sparkling glassware, candles & flowers (same for the formal dining room) had a couple of chairs in the living room with a small table, same for the family room, these were all nice sized rooms, 15' x 25'-35'. It was amazing to see them that empty & huge looking. We had painted the inside of house all white 14 years prior, the paint was still in good shape, just cleaned the walls, touched up where the pictures & nicks were, and cleaned, cleaned, cleaned!
It did pay off, we sold for way over list, & list was way higher than we thought it would be!
Now we are living in Puna, & I am back to student life (actually, I never did 'go away' to college, so this is my first time to go away to school. So 30 years later here I am, & pursueing the degree I always wanted, but was 'totally unpractical'!! WoooHOO!!!)
Aloha, Carey

Hi Carey,
Mahalo for answering my question and it was great that it worked for you so well too. Sounds like you are very creative to make it work for you with things like the table legs and setting to making your dining area elegant with the place settings.

That was very kind of you to help out some worthy Peace Corp. members when they were needing so much to set up the house.

Glad that you have realized two of your dreams at once and made the transition to Hawaii and to be a student.

My husband and I were just talking about moving back there to the islands last night. I have given up on ever doing it now, so will have to look for some other adventure to take its place. It is great that you have done what your dreams where taking you to.

Aloha,
Lucy

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheLanai

Edited by - Lucy on 08/15/2006 20:55:15
Lucy