Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcanoes park to test hybrid shuttles
What do you think of this?

[url]/url]http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2009/07/10/local_news/local06.txt

Volcanoes park to test hybrid shuttles

The Federal Transit Authority has awarded Hawaii Volcanoes National Park a research and development grant of $989,000 to test the feasibility and performance of a hybrid battery/hydrogen fueled shuttle system.

"Hawaii Volcanoes is a climate-friendly park," said Park Superintendent Cindy Orlando. "It's exciting to pilot a project that will reduce petroleum use and promote renewable energy."

Orlando said the park is committed to three climate-friendly strategies: reduce fuel use and green house gas emissions, increase climate change education efforts, and develop ways to adapt to climate change.

The park will collaborate with several partners on the project, including the State of Hawaii, Hawaii Natural Energy Institute, Hawaii Center for Advancement of Transportation Technologies, Department of Defense, Kilauea Military Camp, Hawaiian Electric Company, Department of Energy and the Federal Transit Authority. The test program will run for two years. Total contributions by the National Park Service and its partners to the complete hydrogen-powered shuttle program will total $2.4 million.

Both a World Heritage Site and International Biosphere Reserve, HVNP serves more than 2 million visitors annually.

Published: Friday, July 10, 2009 10:46 AM HST
Text copied from the 7/10/2009 Hawaii Tribune Heraldto help the dial-up users.

I cracked up a bit when I read
"Hawaii Volcanoes is a climate-friendly park"
Someone should explain to the volcano about all that VOG it spews out 24 hours per day.

There will be a need for a refueling station, repairs and maintenance, and how will they get the hydrogen to the island and to the volcano area? By tanker truck,of course, after shipping it via ship. What "savings" to the environment will actually occur?

Mdd700,

Let me educate you a bit on hydrogen as an alternative fuel. Specifically your comment, "how will they get the hydrogen to the island and to the volcano area? By tanker truck,of course, after shipping it via ship."

Actually, they will get the hydrogen the same way Humboldt State's energy research lab got their hydrogen for their marine lab, generate it on site. Electrolysis, the same process the US Navy uses to generate oxygen for their subs is used, only unlike the Navy, the Park won't be keeping the O2, but the H2. Ultimately, I'd hope to see the hydrogen generated on site with solar panels. It works in Humboldt County for the University's marine lab and that place is pretty rainy also.

What's really interesting is the fact that this is cutting edge technology and it's happening right here. I'm not saying that this is the only place it's happening, but there will be lessons learned from this project and the next project will be even better.

The Park can't do anything about the plume, but it can do something about it's own actions. That's the point of the Park being "climate friendly". One step at a time we can improve our situation, as long as we take that step.

Regards,

Sean
See you in the surf