Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reasons to move to Hawaii
Hey Mella:

"well I think some of the girls voted and decided a reason tomove to Hawaii was NO panty hose. LOL Unless you feel you absolutely, positively must!"

Guys don't have to wear panty hose either right??

Andrew

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
Hahahaha...this is PUNA...live and let live...if they wanna...let 'em!

Carrie

"The opportunities to reach into the lives of others in an inspiring way arise in countless ways every single day..." Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

http://www.hellophoenix.com/art
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
Gene found this article today! Ever heard of Hot Gas? Me neither. azcentral.com google hot gas or link follows. Here is an article that tells that Hawaii is the best at protecting their consumers at that other hot weather areas haven't adopted, and why they haven't adopted the same procedures!

You get more MPG in Hawaii and if you want to know why read this article!

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic...l0829.html

Now I understand why my gas mileage is better in winter than summer. Interesting. Mella

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
mella,

I think you mean that your gas mileage is lower in cold weather, given the same car in the same locale. I believe this has to do with less fuel efficiency at lower ambient temperatures. Also, when you run heater fans, windshield wipers and headlights, this draws more energy from the battery, requiring more charging by the engine. So, this is the benefit of driving in a warm and moderate climate year-round.

In regards to the larger Hawaiian gallon, I'm not sure if this will improve gas mileage. And it appears that we're already paying more for a gallon anyway.

Our 2nd generation Prius has a flexible bladder instead of a rigid steel gas tank. In cold weather, it holds less gas because the bladder material doesn't flex as much. It's not significant, but because you can constantly monitor your fuel efficiency, you can see it. Although our driving isn't exactly comparable between CA and HI, we were getting around 44 MPG overall in CA in winter, compared to 49 MPG in HI in spring and summer. We lived in the mountains in CA at 2100 ft. and are at 4000 ft. in Volcano. Whether driving up and down a shield volcano or the Santa Cruz Mtns., the benefit of going downhill is cancelled by the extra fuel needed to go back uphill. At least our volcano drive is relatively straight both ways and not winding. Another small benefit for some of us in Hawaii.

Les

Edited by - Les C on 08/29/2006 19:51:13

Edited by - Les C on 08/29/2006 19:51:41
The Petroleum Industry sells Summer and Winter grades of gasoline on the mainland (not sure about Hawaii, but I doubt there are seasonal grades). In general, your MPG goes down in the winter. This has to do with the vapor pressure requirements regulated by State and Federal law. To keep the vapor pressure up during low temperature seasons more “light” ends, like butane, are added to the gasoline recipe. Butane is a very short molecule and does not have the same energy out-put as longer/larger hydrocarbon chains. So, the more “light” ends and less complicated hydrocarbons that go into gasoline blend the more fuel your vehicle consumes.
That is also some of the problems with the newer government mandated “cleaner” fuels – you end up consuming more fuel to achieve the same task.

One of the many things I enjoy about Hawaii is not having to pay anything to heat or cool my house. Perfect temperatures year round.

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
Yes Andrew not needing all the heating and cooling and then the added bonus of an out door shower! When we were kids and visited a family apple ranch, we always used the outdoor shower. Have plans for one, unpermitted of course, but it is modest and unrevealing, but to shower out of doors is just the best to me! Mella

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA