Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shipman Property
I was doing a little research and playing around on my computer at the Hawaii property tax website, when I was able to locate the Shipman property that is adjacent to Hawaiian Paradise Park (the property which fronts the beach which one can hike to from a dead end road in HPP).

Okay, they have 692.855 acres zoned agricultural and 311 acres zoned as conservation and a lot of it is oceanfront. Here's where it pays to be rich: their assessed land value is only $302,600 and their yearly tax is only $2,551.59.

Of course, if you click on map under their tax record 16001003, it says no map is available for this record. But if you pull up an adjacent record in HPP like 15060073, zoom out, and then click on select parcel and click on the Shipman property adjacent to it, it blocks off in yellow where their property is located and gives you their parcel number: 16001003.

Oh, and their 4,305.09 acres above this parcel only has a tax burden of $6,134.75 per year.

Of course, if they don't build on it or develop it, I guess they deserve a tax break for providing everyone with a beach and nice hike.

But if they are planning on developing like earlier posts have mentioned, this just doesn't seem right.

Just my two cents.

Wendy, when they develop the property it will be reassessed as individual parcels. Just because they are "planning to develop it" it will not be reassessed. While I am not familiar with the subject property, there are many loopholes to get low assessments, your knowledgeable REALTOR can help you with that. However, none of them are for providing everyone with a beach and nice hike. Smile

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
75-5870 Walua Road, Suite 101
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
(808)327-3185
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

Sounds like it didnt get increased much in the tax assessments this year. Maybe the big parcels didnt get the tax increases that smaller parcels did.

-Cat
Off the subject a little. where is this beach? can you swim there? how far is the hike?. I have heard this place mentioned before.

Clarification, They do not allow you to walk on the property....They do not stop you. At the meeting Shipman Co. had on their development plans, this was brought up. They have some reservations about both people using the property (and camping & trashing) and about closing it off, but if abuse continues.....
To get there, at the Hilo end of Beach rd, cont. on about 1.5 miles veering inland slightly until Ha'ena, then continue more along the shoreline. The Beach is a small, shallow cool stream fed with river sand. There are always the conditions for rip currents & undertow, so be aware. There are no facilities, and you are adjacent to private property.
Aloha, Carey

Just to clarify more -- the access from Beach Rd is public (government) property and Shipman can't (although they would love to) bar people from walking along the road. The beach is also public property. They protested a few years ago when a group began working to clear the path, which is the roadbed for the Old Government Rd. However, although they tried to stop it, they could not.

The Shipmans are planning on building a hotel there. There plans were just approved.

A hotel? That's crazy! Talk about out of place. The neighbors aren't going to be happy about that!
Plans approved (orange placard from bldg dept) or they got planning department approval on their SMA assessment application?

-Cat

Catherine Dumond
Blue Water Project Management
808 217-7578
http://bluewaterpm.125mb.com/index.html
"We help make building your dream home a reality"