Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preschools
We are thinking of sending our 3 year old son to the Malamalama preschool. Basically it is the only one I have been able to find from the mainland that has a spot for him. It sounds like a lovely place.
Any thoughts on the school or other recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Malamalama Is a wonderful school! The teachers are very caring and it has earned a good reputation.

-Cat
I've heard both good and bad about Malamalama. I know several people that pulled their kids out when they got to 1st, 2nd grade. In Pahoa there's Montessori Country School. I can't say enough great things about MCS. My oldest went there for 3 years, just graduated from kindergarten in June and this is my youngest's second year there. The only downside is that MCS only goes through kindergarten. It seems like most of the preschools in this area are either at capacity or close to it. I think this is due to the expanding population and also maybe because one of the preschools in Keaau closed recently.

Aloha,
Jody

Thank you both for your input. It seems like Malamalama will be a great fit for a couple of years...then who knows.
The MCS was full Jody, we are #22 on the list.

My daughter goes to the waldorf school (1st grade)and went to the kinderhale (preschool) last year.I did not have any complaints it was "precious" and a beautiful environment,But this year they have a new director and teachers so I cannot comment on the situtation now.The school in general stresses "community" so you should make some friends.As far as the upper grades the teachers change grades, Ideally the same teacher stays with the children through 8th grade,but Malamalama is so small it depends on how many students are in the class and the teachers abilities so its up in the air so to speak what teacher you'll get.This year they could not find a second grade teacher so they had to combine the 1st and 2nd grades making a very large class of like 25 students.So my verdict is still out, another thing to consider is tuition this year for 1st grade its 5k plus reg. fees and seems to go up every year. the preschool is cheaper though.
You have plenty of time to decide since he's only 3.
FYI The state of HI has a program that will pay for preschool for a 4yr old. I think its called "opendoor" but not sure.

Ok, then Malamalama it is. It really sounds ideal for preschool. I hope you are as happy with the new director and his/her changes Punamom.
Burton is in prescool now and loves it, so we hope to get him enrolled by mid October.

School discussion.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA