Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Go Airlines
man that's an eye opener
quote:
Originally posted by macuu222
...But they have had some bad press very recently about one of their pilots and co-pilots falling asleep while on a flight from Honolulu to Hilo.

http://starbulletin.com/2008/02/20/news/story08.html

Interesting way to look at things. I wouldn't call it "Bad" press. The papers just report what they know and learn. If the pilots were asleep... then I would say it was "Bad" Piloting.[Wink]

Maybe we can start calling them "GOne" Airline [Big Grin]

-------------
On this day in History:
The Supreme Court ruled the power of the federal government is greater than that of any individual state
So much for go!'s $39 fare. The cheapest one I could find from Hilo to Honolulu is now $49.
I wasn't constantly staying on top of the airfares until I started traveling to Honolulu a lot, recently. As many of you already know, the low fares come and go (pun intended) and are not a regular thing. They usually are announced with about a week's time to book a flight for the available travel period, often a month's time. When someone on PunaWeb posted in late Jan. about Go! putting out a low fare ($29), I checked Hawaiian Air and Aloha, and both also dropped their fares to compete. I was able to get $70 roundtrip tickets for Feb. travel, including taxes and fees. $49 one-way fares are the current norm, but after those allotments are gone, the fares drift up to $89, even on Go!

If you want to hear about these fares, register an email address with these airlines and you'll hear about them as early as most people. You will need to make some quick decisions and book your flights quickly. I imagine these fares are only offered for low volume travel times. Or, in Go!'s case, when they are trying to force the other 2 majors to make painfully low fare cuts and gain better market share. You probably won't see low prices offered for peak travel times.
For those who have not been following this venture because of the issues with Aloha and ATA, here's the latest.

Mesa is asking it's stockholders to authorize the issuance of more stock to raise money because of mounting debt. In order to make this request, they had to detail the financial situation of the company. As part of the detailing, they had to break out each operation for the stockholders to see. As it relates to Hawaii, the news was not good.

Go airlines lost over $20,000,000.00 subsidizing fares since it started. This does not include the initial debt incurred for the startup. Based on this, Go will need to raise all fares soon just to stem incurring even higher debt above current levels. If the stockholders require Mesa to just break even in cost versus fares, fares could triple. If the stockholders require full self sufficiency by Go, who knows what fares will be.

Mesa also is facing a serious problem since as of close today, their stock is below $1 a share. So even the amount of stock they are asking to issue may be only half the value when it's issued. That is having stockholders calling for Mesa to stop the financial bleeding of Go airlines or cease Hawaii operations.

Here’s’ a sample of what stockholders are being told by other stockholders.
“therefore, I am asking each of you to think carefully about issuing more stock at a time when this company is throwing money away. If Mesa can’t bring its Hawaii operation (Go Airlines) into the black, they need to pack up and pull out. Hawaii is not an EAS program so it must pay for itself.”
I also understand Mesa lost an important contract with Delta Airlines that had given them 20 million yearly.

Whether Go airlines leaves the Hawaiian market or not....inter-island airfares will go sky high. If they leave....Hawaiian will have an inter-state monoploy and can charge whatever they want.

Im just glad I never have to travel interisland. I always travel to the mainland and can always fly non-stop from Kona
quote:
Originally posted by tada

If Mesa wanted to enter the interisland market so badly why didn't they bid for the more established carrier's assets when they were in chapter 11? Now they want to disrupt and traumatize the market by going under the financially unstable airlines.

Others want to make friends- I just want to make money.
James Cramer

The competitor's assets (Aloha) were not good. Old, fuel inefficient planes. That's why. A rep of Hawaii Airlines was quoted in a paper as saying essentially the same thing.

Aloha did not manage its business well. It seems wrong to blame a competitor (in a free market country) for competing successfully. Hawaii Airlines is expanding its business as a result of Aloha's business failure, showing that the problem is not Mesa (GO!), but Aloha's bad management. Someone who quotes James Cramer should know better!

Would not, Go's belly up also eliminate an eighty million$ lawsuit for Mesa?
Gordon J Tilley
Delta Dropped Mesa yesterday which could lead to the end of Go! Real quick.

-------
blog