Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Networking Help
Aloha all, has anyone had experience with someone setting up a home computer network? Can you give recommendations and contact info? Thanks, Sheryl
What would you like to do with your network and what devices do you have or plan to get?

Daniel R Diamond
Daniel R Diamond
I struggled endlessly with Microsoft's network gobbledygook, never could make it work. I had 3 computers, each with a slightly different operating system (XP home, XP professional, XP media center) and absolutely nothing was compatible. I finally just gave up. Eventually, when I went wireless, the router came with a program called Network Magic (Cisco) which made it so easy that I set up a 3-computer network (2 desktops and a laptop) with 2 printers and a scanner, all by myself in just a few minutes. I can access anything and everything from every computer anytime. If I could do it, anybody could. I think Network Magic does cost about $30 but it's well worth it. I highly recommend it.

use it up, wear it out, make it do, do without
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
Thanks Lin, I'll keep that in mind for the future. Thanks also Daniel. We want the option for wireless but right now we are building a home and want to wire the home. We have been advised to use CAT6 wiring, will have the wiring to several spots including the tv and kitchen. We will cable to begin with and may also have DSL. So I need someone to advise on how to put it all together in the wiring in the walls. There are businesses but I don't know of anyone who has used one so looking for a recommendation.
You need to designate a spot for your network equipment and then you can run your wires. Its really basic, just have cat 6 all doing a "home run" back to the location where your network equipment is. any contractor can pull the cat 6 cables,

are you just looking for a specific business suggestion or just information?

quote:
Originally posted by sherylr

Thanks Lin, I'll keep that in mind for the future. Thanks also Daniel. We want the option for wireless but right now we are building a home and want to wire the home. We have been advised to use CAT6 wiring, will have the wiring to several spots including the tv and kitchen. We will cable to begin with and may also have DSL. So I need someone to advise on how to put it all together in the wiring in the walls. There are businesses but I don't know of anyone who has used one so looking for a recommendation.

More importantly than wire now is installing large enough conduit in the walls in any possible future location. That way you can add whatever you need later. The cat6 is good but in a couple of years you may wish you had optic or whatever. If the conduit is there you just yank out the cat6 and add the optic or whatever. Plan further ahead. Otherwise the cat6 is good. I originally placed my central location in a room in the attic. I later discovered that the modem needs to be powered off and on fairly often. Pain in the azz. I then had to rewire some to move the modem and router to a easier accessed location. Conduit is cheap. drop in plenty now while the walls are open.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
aLOHA

cAT6 is the cable to use ...keep in mind that there are shielded and unshielded cat6 the shielded is to keep out electromagnetic interference..from lights ,microwaves ect.. so watch were you run cabling... also Plenum Rated for fire code regulations...and the max length of 100m for any type of cat6 anything over 100m you risk data collision problems due to protocal restrictions. I would locate your equipment in a closet with easy access technology changes fast.

I am a network tech

Thanks everyone. I think we have enough to go with now and I have gotten a couple of recommendations for assistance if I need. Aloha!
Sherylr; One thing not mentioned is make sure there is at least 12" separation between any electrical runs and the cat6, also if possible when crossing any electrical runs, do so a 90 degree angle. This will all help to reduce interference and any induced noise.

dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
Thanks, Dick. I'll pass that along to the electrician. Sheryl