Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pahoa
Hi Kobe,

I've seen your post on various forums recently. I hate to repeat what's been said, but.... Visit, visit, visit. Also realize that the opinions and conditions talked about here vary radically from place to place and depending on your income level, class, mentality, location, and whether or not Pele has indigestion.

As to the rain and your bike, i have not taken a ride yet that i haven't gotten wet on. But the roads are good, and the terrain awesome. The drivers and destinations can be the scarier parts. I don't always feel safe at many places i'd like to explore more. Break ins and bad encounters do abound. Some horrible things have happened here. I had no less than five people chuck fireworks at me while i was riding tonight. undoubtably, most were kids, but i'm sure some were just dumb, drunk, or hatefull "people". It's kinda random out here.

No helemt laws, though i use one, because of the traffic and the rain. Insurance is cheap. I strongly suggest crating your bike and moving it with Hawaiian Express. (Candi- (209)204-6010) Would save you a lot of money. All the quotes i got were in the $800-1200 range. Hawaiian Express cost me about $450. I would suggest putting plywood around the crate though to protect from dockworker and forklift accidents. You'll need a bill of lading (a receipt showing you legally imported your bike from your shipper)to get registered. Registration is weight based about $50, and the test is easy for a license, if you want to change your license. You also need a safety inspection $10. Getting your bike weighed on a scale cost me $20. That part was a huge pain in the ass and a rippoff. i suspect some sort of nepotism, or corruption there. You can get motorcycle crates from bike dealerships.

Look me up when you visit. Plane tickets sometimes drop to $200 if you book the day before online. After I spent $500 on a one-way ticket I looked at changing it a day before i was scheduled to leave and found my same ticket, for the next day for $200. I think the drop the prices to fill the flight at the last minute.

Hazen

I just got a new Oregon motorcycle license and bike insurance. When i get to the Big Island, do I need to acquire a Hawaii license and Hawaiian insurance or will my Oregon information work? Thanks for the information on cheap bike shipping. $450 sounds reasonable to me. I love the idea of booking a flight the day before for super cheap. I have lots of flexibility and will be looking for cheap opportunities to fly out there to explore real estate chances. Are there many bike riders in the Puna area?

i'm not sure but i think you have 30 days with your current out of state reg and insurance befor you must change it over to a HAWAII reg and insurance.i should be on the BI in late july and yes i will have my bike and would like to ride.till then ride safe,sean