Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feb. trip to Maui - suggestions?
In route to my yearly Puna trip I am stopping off for 2 and a half days in Maui. We haven¡¦t been to Maui since our honeymoon in 1996. During that trip we stayed in Lahina and Hana for three weeks and never explored the South Shore of Maui. So this time we are getting a rental car and driving straight to S. Maui and exploring that area. I know we want to go to La Peruse Bay for hiking & snorkeling. I want to really maximize the 2 days for mostly snorkeling/hiking in the area. Not interested in any snorkel tours etc. and do not want to leave that S. Maui area as I don¡¦t want to waste any time driving around. Please share any exciting spots you like to visit in that area. Also, any good restaurant recommendations are appreciated as well. Oh, I am a super picky eater. Prefer chef driven places that utilize local foods. I am OK with ¡§mom & pop¡¨ type spots too. Just good clean cooking. Maybe a really good seafood spot? I don¡¦t want to go to a resort or anywhere that might require too much dressing-up ƒº thanks for any input and hope to run into some of you while I am on the BI.

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa
just a head's up that Ahihi-Kinau reserve is closed to entry now. Dumps is open. I think La Perouse itself is open. I have heard people recommend the beach in front of what was the Maui Prince and is now the Makena something for good snorkeling.
aloha punagirl,

big beach/little beach (makena) is always nice. if you're there mid-week, big beach is usually uncrowded. you can catch some good snorkeling at the point between big beach heading north to little beach. if you don't know, little beach is a nude beach. you can also access little beach at the north end of makena, over the hill. little beach is little, so big beach is a better choice in my opinion, due to it's size and openess. watch the shorebreak though, can be rough. also, you can find lots of nice, small beach access parking along the resort drive from kihei to makena, near wailea. just drive slow and look right as you get into the "resort," area. nice of quiet, easy to access beaches and free parking. not so sure about grinds at that end of the island. good luck and have a safe trip!
snorkeling at the north end of Little beach is very nice and you
will see turtles and some nice fish. Around the bend north of Little
Beach is where a lot of the turtles hang out, at least it was that
way the last time I went there, which was 2004.

"From knowledge comes understanding"
"From knowledge comes understanding"
Try Ahihi Cove just before you get to dumps in my opinion is as good as it gets. On the south side of Changs Beach is good for turtles.
If you like hiking head past La Perouse Bay to Keawanaku Beach, its about a 2 mile hike down the Kings Road.
I think you have the right ideal about sticking to a area. Enjoy.
peace
Here is a map showing the open and closed areas around La Perouse and Ahihi-Kinau:
http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dofaw/nars/reserv...ahihikinau

"July 11, 2008
KAHULUI -- Starting on Friday, August 1, 2008, the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) will implement a new two-year area restriction for the ‘Ahihi-Kina‘u Natural Area Reserve that will close off access to the majority of the reserve, including unofficial trails to Kalua o Lapa, Kalaeloa (popularly known as “the Aquarium”), and Mokuha (also known as “the Fishbowl”).
Access to northern portions of the reserve most used by the public will remain open during visiting hours. Some of these open areas are Waiala Cove and the coastal area along ‘Ahihi Bay including the “Dumps” surf break."

The beach I mentioned in my first reply is called Ulua, I think.