I'd love to pick you up

You're probably not a cold-blooded murderer,
psychotic maniac, knife wielding nut.
You're most likely not a child molester,
prison escapee, or dangerous dude.

You could very well be an English professor,
top-notch physician, a poet, a chef.
You're really quite handsome, and look to be honest,
but I won't be stopping to help you. I can't.

I don't dare to smile at you. That would be cruel;
acknowledging you, and then failing to stop.
So hands on the wheel, I stare straight ahead,
and curse what the media's done to my heart.

Edited by - malolo on 09/26/2006 12:41:24
I pick people up all the time. (We are talking hitch hiking here right?) I like it cause I get to talk with someone new and hear some of their stories.

There were only 2 times I wished I hadn't picked certain individuals up but the outcome was ok.

I ussually try to make a judgment before I stop.

Edited by - Andrew on 09/26/2006 13:33:49

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
I picked a guy up, just outside Pahoa, he was going to Seaview. Turned out he was a ethnic Russian college student from Latvia on vacation. He was shocked that I started speaking to him in Russian. It was a fun experience for both of us.

Aloha,
Rob L
Aloha,
Rob L
Hey Malolo,

A nice poem and the thoughts behind it.
I like that! Very well done. Smile

I don't know you, so don't know your gender, nor your age, but it is a nice way of looking at the way of life that is there in Puna.
It is okay to not pick someone up and stay within your comfort zone. You can give yourself permission to do that. I would think that they know that not everyone could.

We don't get hitch hikers here where I live, just panhandlers at the street corners.

Once when I was in high school, (real small town, long ago in a far away place) I stopped and was going to pick up a kid I knew beside the road who sometimes hitch hiked. Turned out, I pulled up beside him and it was not him, I had to do some fast tthinking to know what to say in my astonishment. I just said oh, I thought that you were my friend.

The entire town was only about 7 miles long, so not too far to go anywhere from where he was in the center of it. Two blocks to the kids hang out and I think he just walked it.
I was too stunned to know where he wanted to go, I just excused my self and went on my way. That's life.......the end.

The atmosphere down in Puna is different, I think a lot of folks are comfortable doing the hitch hiking and the picking up. It seems a tradition and a nice one. I think too, folks generally know each other there more. Maybe when you are knowing someone who is standing there, it would be a differnt kind of thing.
Perhaps some will chime in about the whole scene. It would be interesting to see some perspectives on it.

Aloha,
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheLanai
Lucy

Yeah the majority of people arent a risk but I too have picked up a few folks that I literally had to ask them to get out of the car in a public place they were high as kites on something.
Now days I am more cautious because the reality is when someone gets in my car I am responsible for that persons safety. I figure I am gonna drive just fine but I am not so sure about other people on the road.
As sad as it is things do happen whether few or far between.
I hitch hike on rare occasions. Tried to hitch hike around Oahu and came up empty.
My mom has been known to hitch hike from Kurtistown to Hilo and back.
I have nothing against picking up hitch hikers as long as you realize that you are taking responsibility for their safety as well as your own.

"Puna Gnome for President"
Interesting comments, All.
Thanks!

And ha!...actually, I'm not as evil and heartless, creepy and curmudgeonly as I make out to be. I will on occasion pick folks up...generally a kid I've watched grow up 'round these parts over the years. But other than that? Not so much.

Am in total agreement with you on the personal-safety angle (hence my feeble attempt to verbalize those feelings). And yes!...worrying about one's passenger's safety is an extremely important point as well. Thanks for that.

Y'know, I've often wished while motoring along, that there was some kind of teeny-tiny ribbon (of some color that's not already taken) that I could tie on my rearview mirror...something that was universally understood to mean "Geee. I really wish I could, but I can't."

Anyhow, be safe out there good-people!
Do svidanja.

I pick up hitchikers several times a week. Once or twice someone has smelled bad enough that I wished I hadn't picked them up, but the vast majority of the time things are totally cool. I've many new friends this way. Some people have been "relieved" of loose change and cigarettes as such, but I figure it's worth the karma, just keep your wallet/purse/phone/jewels out of sight.

I often drive miles out of the way to help out nice people. It costs me cents and really makes their day. Kinda like that extra dollar in the tip which costs you a dollar but makes your waiterserver smile.

Of, course I'm probably more likely to scare my rider than vice versa. ;P

Does anyone read about Madame Pele very often?
At the wikipedia site was written that Madame Pele tests people, most recently about rides to another part of the island.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pele_(mythology)

What happens if you deceide to not pick her up? It says those risk having their homes or food that they raise destroyed.

Thought that would be interesting to add to this topic.

I think we have talked about why not to take the lava from the islands before on another string somewhere and the large concensus that was correct.

I did pick up a car full of hitch hikers, student age once. I had met them before at Kapoho, swam with them there and spent a few moments talking. So when leaving Kapoho and going past the exit of the subdivision, their car had broken down. They were an interesting group. Had fun with them too.
They were working tha land at some farm I think. All were very polite about it.
I wanted to give them some money to fix the beater car up with or for gas. They just refused it.

Lucy

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheLanai
Lucy

My SO usually picks up hitch hikers - but with a van full of tools and a grizzly looking old guy (dont tell him I said that!!)- usually the hitch hikers are more leery of him than he of them... one person is still our pal four years later and does painting for him on occassion... just needed a job to buy a car....

That said, I am more leery but I do try not to base my feelings on how someone looks... Kids that I see hitch hiking all the time, I give rides to... Especially up and down the Kapoho-Pahoa Rd...

We picked up four kids from Pahoa High last week and gave 'em a lift to the corner of the one kid's street in the "A's"...they were funny. Wanted to hear loud music...were big boys so real squished in the back seat...LOL...buncha teenagers who missed their bus "on purpose."

Carrie

"To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater." Bono
http://www.hellophoenix.com/art/dreamhawaii.Cfm
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2