Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
551 dead yellow tang
I wish to sincerely apologise for setting anyones feathers on fire, and hair for that matter.

I agree the loss of life in our oceans is unbearable and didn't post on the very fact as it is so profoundly sad.

Having done beach clean up and such and posting many times about the Pacific Garbage dump I do care,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacif...bage_Patch

The steeling of fish and then to blindly neglect their care to the point of death is abysmal in my opinion. The lack of action by authority is EQUALLY abysmal in MY mind if not GREATER. Time and again the blind eye is turned.

So in my bull in the china shop, loud mouth way, off the top of my head I was TRYing to say follow the money, DESK jockeys do not go on EXOTIC conference escapades, at least to my knowledge. Make work projects are rampant and then sit in drawers, you know the ego projects that well, never mind you know!!

I know more DNLR employees, oh yes and also VOLUNTeers, professionally and personally than most of this board with the exception of the agent that posts here, the one whom has my profound sympathy.

The ocean belongs to EVERYONE. LOL didn't assume the best and ask questions did it?

mella l

Paris London New York PUNA
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Perhaps someone who knows more than I can point out one thing that DLNR has accomplished or at least done well. Or even better point out two things where they have merited their budget.

Nail on the head, it hurts I guess!

mella l

Paris London New York PUNA
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Aside from actually doing the work that allowed this post to start up ... It was DLNR FIELD WORKERS, as I noted earlier, that did the work, including diving into a HARBOR dumpster (ever even gotten near one of those nasty vessels????) retrieved two bags of dead (& not fresh) fish, sorted & catalogued these fish.... for info on the DAR:
http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/

OH, and for those of you who have assisted me in coastal cleanups, most of the assistance I get is from the DAR....

I have done field work with DLNR and DAR field workers... and I can only say, if you need any proof, PLEASE TAKE THE OPPORTUNITY TO VOLUNTEER TO DO FIELD WORK WITH THESE PEOPLE.... are some office paper pushers worthless? by definition!.... but some of us have had paper pushing jobs.... and some have gone back to field work ... others never left the field to do desk work, and those are the ones I have the most respect for.... Meet with these folks, they are the ones with far more insight, knowledge and ability to get things done...
Previously quoted by Carey:

"are some office paper pushers worthless? by definition!.... "

Whoa Nellie! Let's not slam "paper pushers" just to make our point. A lot of workers have some ogre breathing down their neck to answer to. I know a couple of DLNR guys who are hardworking...also people in all kine professions that are slackers. Blanket statements suck.

Carrie

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Thanks CM!.... I did say SOME..........(hey, desk workers were ragged on earlier (see Robs & DLNRagents comments!)

It is amazing that this thread was about the fish, and got onto a rag about the DLNR, the very same dept. that the people that found the fish work for....

My questions for those of you that are opposed to the DLNR.... perhaps this would be best on a new thread.... If you agree Rob, please split this off....
Who do you think is in a position to respond to a case like this?(the DAR did respond to a call in time to find the fish in the dumpster, if they had not, the fish would have been in the landfill....)

How would you plan to coordinate the efforts over the various jurisdictions that the DLNR/DAR now work?
quote:
Originally posted by JWFITZ...

Let's be clear, first of all. The only reason we care about 500 fish is that they're so few of them. The reefs are failing not because of overfishing, nor because of people collecting fish for aquariums. That's completely small potatoes. The reefs are dying for large scale systematic reasons...

Here, here! Thanks for stating the real problem so eloquently.
Okay, so after careful consideration and the counseling of a good psychiatrist, er...friend, I realize that once again I have taken this too personally. I like what JWFITZ said about systematic failures as well, but really it's about the dead fishes - they are beautiful and we have less all the time. Something has to change. Maybe like the with ancestral Hawaiians the reefs need to be Kapu.

Carrie

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
The original article in West Hawaii Today has had a lot of interesting comments posted.

One of the more intriguing...

kunakalo wrote on Jan 30, 2010 8:14 PM:
" Know why the Kohala coast is also called the "Gold Coast'? No, not because of the rich people's resorts.

Once its rocky shore was lined with walls of Yellow Tang. So many millions were there that people coined this term. Now that's no more.

Ask the long time diving operators how rare certain species get: Some of those fish can't find mates anymore. "
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator