Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDS acceptance ?
I am wondering if this dental insurance is accepted by good dentists or has very limited usage?
I have to decide weather to have a dental plan or not.
I would phone local dentists' offices and ask the billing people what they think is best.
My son and daughter each have this plan, my son through his work and my daughters we pay for. There is a list of participating dentists on the website and there are a lot in Hilo. Our dentist takes this insurance and says he likes it as they pay really fast.

Make sure you read up on it, as some of the things covered require a one year waiting period. The information is on the website, and I signed my daughter up online about a year ago.

http://www.deltadentalhi.org/ddpahi/inde...DView=Home

Here is the web address just in case you don't have it.
We have it through work & have good dentists on both sides of the island ( when KonaMonkey transfered, he changed DR.s to be closer during working hours)... there are various plans under HDS, some are much better than others as far as coverage & such... so look very closely at the details of the coverage you are looking at, as HDS has a number of very different plans...

Oh, and many of the Dr.s on island do not update the "accepting new patients' part of the website... every one we have contacted does accept new patients, though only a very few are listed for new patients...
HDS is the largest dental insurer in the state with the largest network of providers. Ive never had an issue with them and they have been my insurer since i turned 18 (man years ago now lol, but not as much as some of you grandmas and grandpas)
Thank you,everyone.I checked what is covered at my job - not much.
Crowns and bridges - only once in 5 years.
My main issue that they don't cover composite fillings at all if it's not the first 6 (visible) teeth.They go by Dentist Association that mercury in amalgam is safe.
stillhope, delta is the biggest dental insurer in the usa. i think it is a crime that some dentists still do amalgam fillings. what delta will do if you get composite is they still pay, but at the amalgam rate. so you can get your white fillings, just your copay will be more. that is standard on crown and bridges also, if done correctly a crown shouldnt have to be replaced before 5 years. that is what that language means, a REPLACEMENT of an existing crown, not that you can only have that type of procedure once in 5 years...[Wink]